Basic 2 PC Network help needed!

I have a laptop running Vista and a PC upstairs running Vista. Both connect wirelessly to a Netgear DG834GT router.
I would like to see and work on files from both machines from the other machine (if you see what I mean).
When I had two XP PCs I had no problems networking them but I can't do it with the two vista ones. The PC can see the notebook but I cannot get into the files as it says the notebook name is not a valid host-name.
In the network set up wizard a PC to PC netwrork is described as Ad Hoc and temporary so I'm not sure if that is what I want?
I'm totally confused so a gentle nudge in the right direction would be much appreciated- thanks!

ashleycardwell94 21:29 04 Oct 2009

do the ad-hoc thing

Will try that thanks- why is it called temporary?

mgmcc 09:17 05 Oct 2009

An "Ad Hoc" wireless network is one in which the two Wireless Network Adapters communicate directly, which is not the case in a network where you are using a Router. Your network is an "Infrastructure" one.

You should be able to share folders in Vista in basically the same way as XP. Make sure that you have "shared" any folders you want to have available by right clicking and selecting the Sharing option. Check that both PCs are in the same Workgroup and that any firewall software has been configured to allow access to the networked computers.

In the "Network & Sharing Center", make sure you've switched "On"...

- Network Discovery
- File Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing

In the network and Sharing Centre on the laptop, every time I set it to "on" and apply, when I close the box down it just says "Custom". On the PC It says, "ON". I am still getting the "Not a valid host name" message. Any ideas?

Also i am getting an error mesage saying that the network path cannot be found- i don't think I've set it up and I'm not sure how to do it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?