bart pe

civicr 18:30 14 Dec 2010

Hi,
My daughters friend at uni laptop wont start saying start up files are corrupt , can you go into f8 safe mode and go back to a time when it was working or can i send her a bart pe disk to fix it using chkdsk
Thanks ,
civicr

civicr 18:31 14 Dec 2010

sorry , should have said she was using xp

GaT7 18:39 14 Dec 2010

Yes, try booting into 'Safe Mode with a Command Prompt' option & doing a system restore from there - instructions at click here (assuming it's XP).G

Pineman100 18:40 14 Dec 2010

I've heard of Bart PE, but I'm not familiar with it - so I don't know whether it will help you.

Here's what I would do:-

As the computer starts up, tap repeatedly on the F8 key until the Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears.

You now have two options:-

You can try booting into Safe Mode, then running System Restore to roll the computer back to a date/time before the problem started.

If you can't get into Safe Mode, or if System Restore doesn't resolve the problem, then you can use the "Last known good configuration" function to try and recover a clean system.

Pineman100 18:41 14 Dec 2010

Sorry for the cross-post Crossbow - I was typing while you posted.

GaT7 18:43 14 Dec 2010

No problem Pineman100 :-). It happened to me a short while ago in this thread click here, & umpteenth times in other threads over the years! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?