Barebones Laptop Advice Needed

lukich79 19:23 03 Feb 2011

I am looking for a potential barebones laptop case. I am hoping to be able to keep the components from my current laptop.

I bought this machine 4 years ago click here
At the time it was marketed as a gaming desktop replacement.
I have been trawling the net for a potential case, but have found they are hard to come by.

I have experience of upgrading desktops, when it comes to laptops I am a noob and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

My current state laptop, linked above has many issues related to its case:
-keyboard broken (using USB keyboard)
-Screen Hanging off
-Disk drive inoperable
-Can't turn on wireless due to broken keyboard
-Power input jack broken (jack disconnected from circuit board)

As you can see all the issues are related to the laptops case. It seems a waste to throw away all the components which in my opinion still make a decent system. I would like to keep the components particularly the graphics and hopefully CPU, wireless, RAM and even the HDD.

I have since bought a Gaming desktop, so I will be using this machine as a general use secondary system. I don't want to spend too much max budget E400.

What do you guys think?
- Is it worth even thinking of this, or should i just buy a new system
- are the components worth keeping, compared to the newer stuff
- Where can i buy a barebones laptop
- can i simply switch components in a laptop, (gpu,cpu)
- could i consider a second hand system and the move components

Thnx in advance.

ton 20:00 03 Feb 2011

Not worth the bother I would have thought.

You said you just want the machine as a"general use secondary system. I don't want to spend too much max budget E400".

I think you would be much better off buying a cheapish laptop.

northumbria61 20:21 03 Feb 2011

They are available but I would agree that "not worth the bother" - however here's a LIST of what is available to choose from. click here

lukich79 21:04 03 Feb 2011

thnx guys.

So i found this prospective buy, thnx northumbria61 :) click here

When seen next to existing click here

looks like a good fit. It says it supports core duo processors. Can I replace the GeForce Go 7400 128MB in the new machine directly with the GeForce Go7950 GTX 512MB in the old one in your opinion.

what about this cheaper option click here
I dont think that would support the old CPU and GPU correct?

northumbria61 21:40 03 Feb 2011

"I dont think that would support the old CPU and GPU correct?" (cheaper option) - I am of the opinion that you are correct in that assumption.

I think you would be okay with the GeForce Go7950GTX 512MB but you could always verify that with Eclipse prior to purchase if you decide to go with that one.

woodchip 22:10 03 Feb 2011

Why not check Ebay for a non working Laptop like yours

northumbria61 22:13 03 Feb 2011

woodchip - good suggestion. May be the cheaper option. (PS. Has the dust settled today?)

woodchip 22:29 03 Feb 2011

It does sound though that you need more than a case, power socket is fitted to motherboard you need a new drive etc and keyboard what's going to be left when you have done

woodchip 22:31 03 Feb 2011

It does sound though that you need more than a case, power socket is fitted to motherboard you need a new drive etc and keyboard what's going to be left when you have done.

PS I would be inclined to try for a new Keyboard and drive. and try fixing the rest

lukich79 22:36 03 Feb 2011

checked ebay. only spares on sale there. when i checked the gpu i found a similar vintage reconditioned laptop click here

would cost 420 euro including delivery. I am not considering purchasing it but it is indicative of the viability of paying 480 euro for a barebones unit to house older components. Still don't wanna throw out those components. perhaps i could flog em on ebay!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone