Bare Bones and a Printer, What is the Best ?

Giantsquid 10:47 30 May 2005

Hi All,

A friend of mine is after a new computer, not got a lot of cash so I mentioned a bare-bones machine as they have a monitor, mouse, etc they also need a printer, I told them that a Epson is a good choice as I have 2 of them C60-C62 both good for photo's as well as the usual B/W work also compatible cartridges can be used from a good outlet.
Not sure of the latest Epson to match or superceed the C62 does anyone here have a new-ish Epson ? also can you recommend a good bare-bones system that is up to date and ever so slightly future proof,

Many thanks,
GS

Belatucadrus 11:06 30 May 2005

What budget has your friend got ? click here e-buyer have some good budget systems available at the moment.
They're all future proof to the extent that memory and VGA card can be upgraded. But the base machines are not going to support the new areas of PC tech like PCI express so are not infinitely up datable.
Not sure I agree with your bare bones comments, in most cases bare bones refers to a case, usually supplied with a MOBO and power supply and nothing else. No CPU, memory, hard drive, operating system or peripherals.

Giantsquid 12:12 30 May 2005

Thanks for the reply,

We are talking about 320 quid and that is with a printer, yes you are right Not Bare-Bones as such more like ready to go but without the monitor etc,

GS

pj123 13:08 30 May 2005
  Belatucadrus 15:46 30 May 2005

click here

The price shown is with the "Basic Package: 3 Year Next Business Day onsite support & 30 day Online MultiMedia Training" if you opt for one of the lower grade support packages you can get the price down to £301, with free delivery (Due to End 01/06/2005) and printer (Due to End 22/06/2005.) Free double memory
(Due to End 01/06/2005). At the moment finding a better buy will be difficult. needs a quick decision though.

bruno 19:22 30 May 2005

My son in law had a bare bones system from Novatech a month ago and is highly delighted with it.It came with a case,power supply 2600 Sempron processor and 512 mb memory.Cost £150.Leaves you plenty for a printer.Took him two or three hours to transfer his CD writer and floppy etc,plus his O/S and programs.If you go to their site they have a large selection at all prices and their service is excellent.

Giantsquid 20:30 30 May 2005

Looking along those lines, I have had a gander at Novatech and they look pretty promising I have to say, thanks for that ,

GS

Joe R 20:36 30 May 2005

Giantsquid, you may also have a look here.

The CPU, memory and graphics, are all upgradable, and is maybe the system bruno is talking about.

click here

Joe R 20:37 30 May 2005

Duh, bruno said Novatech. :o)

Totally-braindead 20:45 30 May 2005

I bought a barebones system from Novatech a couple of months ago as the person like your friend already had keyboard monitor etc. Bought a new faster hard drive and Windows XP OEM home edition came to about £230 I think and then you could buy a good Epson printer, the R200 is good and about £70 but is a photo printer for about £20 less you could get a C66 which is a good general printer.

Totally-braindead 20:48 30 May 2005

Should have said at this price they come with onboard graphics but you could easily buy an AGP card later on as they have AGP slots if required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?