Banner that says 'a new version available......

amyfleur 21:44 23 Apr 2007

How do I prevent a banner that keeps coming up on my screen each time I turn on my PC - it says 'a new version of .... is ready to be installed'

baldtaco 03:27 24 Apr 2007

You've missed out the vital bit..which app it is. It could be something trivial like switching off the notification in the app. It could be something more interesting like banishing an IP range. Yeah, could be many things.

amyfleur 08:21 24 Apr 2007

JAVA

I don't want to upgrade. I don't want to install. And I don't want to keep clicking on the close application cross every time I boot up.

Taff™ 08:30 24 Apr 2007

In my opinion there is nothing to fear about java runtime - in fact it`s pretty useful. If you really want to get rid of it go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall it.

€dstowe 08:35 24 Apr 2007

It seems you already have Java and you have your machine set up to receive notification of updates - otherwise you wouldn't be getting reminders.

As Taff™ says, Java is harmless and useful. I can't really imagine a modern computer without it.

Probabilitydrive 08:43 24 Apr 2007

Java is a computer programming language often used to create Internet applications and for Web users to interact with sites. It is useful of having and does not pose a threat.

amyfleur 09:03 24 Apr 2007

Thanks everyone. I will install Java.

On another, similar, theme. I have a CD/DVD making programme that pops up and stays on my screen every time I boot up, that I don't use very often but do not want to uninstall.

Is there a way I can permanently hide the programme without having to click on the 'close' icon every time I turn on my PC?

iscanut 09:08 24 Apr 2007

There is probably something in the Tools/Set up section that will allow you to tick/untick a check box as to whether the program is to be displayed on screen or not.

Probabilitydrive 09:25 24 Apr 2007

go to >start>run>type'msconfig'and press 'ok'
go to >'start up' identify and untick the troublesome application. (you have to restart your computer)

Msconfig stands for 'Microsoft System Configuration Utility' and is a tool designed to help you troubleshoot problems with your computer. MSCONFIG also allows you to edit your start-up applications.

Simsy 09:41 24 Apr 2007

under "Startup", the box to untick if you don't want to be notified that there is a java update available is;

"jusched"

(Which, I assume, stands for "Java Update Scheduler")

Regards,

Simsy

Kate B 09:43 24 Apr 2007

amyfleur, I know it's a pain upgrading and patching, but please set my mind at rest and tell me you do do the Windows updates and the ones for your security software?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone