Bandwidth Tautology meter going crazy?

I posted at the weekend that I wanted to monitor my broadband useage in order to see if we could survive on 10Gb a month. I downloaded the Tautology meter (recommended and I had used it before) to my PC and my laptop. I set the useage limit on both at 10GB (although obviously that would be twice the allowance). All was fine until after one day the meter on the lappy went from 0% of allowance set to 85% in one go. So I reset. Last night it was on 0% and this morning it shows a useage of a whopping 32GB !
Upstairs it showed 0% until I switched it on yesterday when it jumped to 8GB used.I haven't checked it this morning.
Even for security updates this seems crazy. Are there any other explanations for this?
It would seem odd to be a fault in the download if it is happening on two diff machines with two diff downloads.

  johndrew 15:12 17 Nov 2009

I tried the Tautology Meter and found it did all sorts of `interesting` things to the numbers it was supposed to be recording. I also found others with similar experiences (e.g. click here) so I went over to NetMeter click here which I find more `stable` and meets my requirements nicely.

Thank-you, it seems to read an upload and download of 4gb each everytime I switch the Pc on!
I will try Net Meter and keep my fingers crossed!

have downloaded netmeter and am trying it out, I'll let you know how I fare! Thank-you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017