Bandwidth control, new router or server pc?

Woody_69 11:55 13 Sep 2007

I have the 20mb service from Virgin & am presently using a 4 port Belkin router to divide the connection between myself & my house mate.

My housemate just browses the net & downloads over p2p. I however also play online games such as BF2, CS & GW. Since getting the router I have been unable to play online as my connection keeps stopping for 10-60 seconds; sometimes just long enough for me to die but more often that not I am kicked from servers for connection problem.

I understand there are bandwidth limiting routers, but after looking at ebuyer & scan I cant see which ones are bandwidth limiting & which aren’t. I also heard it’s possible to limit bandwidth by running the connection through a server with specific software. If I were going to take this option I'd want to get a VERY cheap but quiet pc.

Any suggestions?

irishrapter 15:12 13 Sep 2007

I think you need the D-Link-4300 click here for more info.

Woody_69 20:25 13 Sep 2007

having read a few reviews it seems its a fantastic product, but for some reason unavailable in the UK.

the D-Link.co.uk says its discontinued.

crazy to think a product like this could be discontinued in the UK. surely the online gaming market is growing one. we should see more of these products not less.

irishrapter 21:58 13 Sep 2007

Amazon have one through one of their shops £82 click here

So does pixmania-pro click here

irishrapter 22:01 13 Sep 2007

Actually its pixmania that has the shop through Amazon! Silly me!
You can buy through either.

Woody_69 16:06 14 Sep 2007

after some reading up, i discovered that the DGL series successor is DIR-655.

the DIR-655 includes the Ubicom StreamEngine technology that was originally in the DGL series. click here

i ordered one from ebuyer, hopefully this will resolve my problem.
click here

thanks for the info, i'll update as to whether or not this works.

irishrapter 16:57 14 Sep 2007

yeah that looks like a good device, not only do you get the QoS that you are after but you have a Pre-N wireless service and a gigabit Ethernet as well.

Please do let us know if its any good and if it has solved your gaming problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?