Bandwidth advice needed...

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:30 02 Oct 2003

Can anyone tell me how much bandwidth is taken up by a hotlink to an image?

The reason I ask, is that some members of my East End Forum have no webspace of their own (or are not really into getting it) but would like to use personal avatars and signatures.

I was thinking of donating a page of my own website for them to upload their images and hotlink to that. I only have a few members at the moment, but if it catches on, I am worried about how much bandwidth will be draining from my site. Anyone got any facts or figures about this?

Cheers, Whiz...

Forum Editor 23:50 02 Oct 2003

be very afraid.

If you allow remote linking to avatars on your site you could indeed find that your bandwidth consumptions soars - particularly if/when your forum starts to get busy. Avatars may only be 5 or 6k files, but imagine a busy thread with dozens, or even hundreds of people checking in and out - all of them downloading avatars. It doesn't take long for the bandwidth consumption to rack up.

There's another problem with remote linking too. Suppose you have a couple of hundred members - all with their avatars on your webspace. Then imagine that you decide to do a spot of site reorganisation. You'll only have to rename a file or so, and you'll get a flood of email about avatars not working.

My advice - give it a wide berth Barry, but if you do decide to go ahead, set a 6k limit on avatar file size.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:14 03 Oct 2003

You have just confirmed my worst fears. Mind you, I like your optimism about a couple of hundred members! A couple of dozen would be welcome at the moment.

Just one more thing if you have the time. I link to my own avatar from my site. If, let us suppose, it is 6k and appears 100 times, is it taking just the original 6k or a total of 600k?

Thanks for the advice, Whiz...

Forum Editor 00:20 03 Oct 2003

you use the avatar you're downloading it in your browser Barry, so it's 600k I'm afraid.

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:21 03 Oct 2003

I wont be offering any webspace I'm afraid!

Thanks a lot for the info, Whiz...

Gaz 25 17:19 06 Oct 2003

barryoneoff.co.uk

To offer webspace, you need a dedicated network that can handle lots of volume. This costs!

If you have the money, go ahead. But if not, save it.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:38 06 Oct 2003

I found a site that offers 5 mb daily bandwidth for pics. I just pass this on to forum members and they store their avatars there.
Thanks Gaz, Whiz...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?