bak files

porridge 18:21 16 Feb 2007

Can anyone tell me how to find these on my computer. I have seen large files with incoming and outgoing e-mails for example and have tried to get them to turn up again using search. I tried *.bak, .bak, and just plain bak in both lower and upper case but search does not find them. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,

porridge.

VoG II 18:23 16 Feb 2007

You may need to enable viewing of hidden files and folders:

1. Click Start.
2. Click My Computer.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. Select the View Tab.
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Click OK.

Search for Hidden Files
By default, the Search companion does not search for hidden files. Because of this, you may be unable to find files, even though they exist on the drive.

To search for hidden or system files in Windows XP:

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

Jackcoms 20:44 16 Feb 2007

Have a look in C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\CBEB3901....\Microsoft\Outlook Express

woodchip 20:57 16 Feb 2007

You need to make your computer show all files first through Control Panel\Folders

Then in Search type

*.Bak press enter.

you can also do a

*.old etc

porridge 21:39 18 Feb 2007

Sorry to be late in reacting lads but I have been absent for a couple of days. It is Carnival time over here and the world goes mad.

Thank you VOG Jackcoms and woodchip. I have tried all of your advice and using Jackcoms' managed to get them to appear. However when I try to unpack them Microsoft tells me that it cannot read them.
They show as a Windows screen with six coloured blocks and Microsoft will not recognise them. There are also some dbx files there but I cannot read them either.

Can you help? The blasted things are there but will not unpack do that I can read them. Very frustrating.

porridge

porridge 21:40 18 Feb 2007

Sorry to be late in reacting lads but I have been absent for a couple of days. It is Carnival time over here and the world goes mad.

Thank you VOG Jackcoms and woodchip. I have tried all of your advice and using Jackcoms' managed to get them to appear. However when I try to unpack them Microsoft tells me that it cannot read them.
They show as a Windows screen with six coloured blocks and Microsoft will not recognise them. There are also some dbx files there but I cannot read them either.

Can you help? The blasted things are there but will not unpack do that I can read them. Very frustrating.

porridge

woodchip 23:14 18 Feb 2007

To read them you need quick view plus. You right click on a file and choose Quick view Plus when it is installed click here=

lotvic 00:39 19 Feb 2007

*.dbx is the store for your Outlook Express email messages. You use Outlook Express to open and read them. (or install a special View program just to look at them if you do not want to use Outlook Express for some strange reason)

lotvic 01:10 19 Feb 2007

SP2 After you install this update, a backup copy of the .dbx file is created every time that the database is compacted. After the database is successfully compacted, the backup copy of the .dbx file is moved to the Recycle Bin.

So, Outlook Express *.bak's are backups of your mail folders created after a 'compact messages' has been performed they sometimes appear in your Recycle Bin.

click here and scroll half way down the page for info on how to put them back into outlook express to read them. Caution: the current mail folder with the same name in outlook express will be overwritten.

porridge 10:14 19 Feb 2007

woodchip and lotvic

Thank you gentlemen: I have downloaded Quickview and had a good look at it and a good try to get the bak messages to turn up...with no success I'm afraid. Possibly because I have no idea what I am doing. I did manage to find some dbx files using QV but when I opened them they were in programmer's code with all sorts of boxes and such like and I was back to square one.
I shall give up for the time being and try QV again later.

Many thanks for your hrlp.

porridge

wee eddie 11:07 19 Feb 2007

Why are you needing these files.

Maybe we are approaching the problem from the wrong end!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?