Bagle 0 virus

Roland Butter 17:45 13 Apr 2004

Norton AV popup states that my email (with attachment) has been rejected by my ISP (Virgin) as it identified that it could contain the Bagle 0 virus. I have checked my virus definitions/engine - and all are up to date and show that I am virus free. I have also done an on-line scan with mcafee - just to be sure - which came back clear, but I knew that, I just had to try. I have run spy bot and all clear.
So why am I getting the returned mail. Is it my ISP that has the problem?

johnnyrocker 17:47 13 Apr 2004

did you actually send the mail in the first place?

johnny.

Roland Butter 17:50 13 Apr 2004

yep. Half way through it being scanned on its way out the Norton message appeared. I can send messages OK without attachments - but that's not the point of course

johnnyrocker 17:53 13 Apr 2004

maybe your norton security settings are too stringent. is there a facility for further configuration? especially if you have updated recently.

johnny.

Roland Butter 18:02 13 Apr 2004

all settings remain unchanged ie as was before problem. I have also tried sending attachments which were previously OK.
I guess sometimes life is just full of S**! and other times we just pay tax and die.
Thanks anyhow

cycoze 18:06 13 Apr 2004

"I can send messages OK without attachments - but that's not the point of course" Ah but it is the point as W32.Beagle.O/W32.Bagle.Q etc does not use an attachment as a method of infection ! I realise this doent solve your problem but its worth noting.

Roland Butter 18:12 13 Apr 2004

cycoze - are you are telling me that the virus is not in the attachment. I must therefor assume that the pop-up message is dubious.

cycoze 18:27 13 Apr 2004

I am saying that particular virus does not propagate/spread by use of an attachment , look at click here , scroll down to `distribution` it says "There is no attachment".

As the virus can send its self using its own mailing engine an infected machines user probably wouldnt realise its sending out , it can infect exe files (what sort of attachment were you sending?).

cycoze 18:31 13 Apr 2004

I`m not saying the popup msg is dubious , need to look into that , just pointing out that the virus does not need to use an attachment , the virus will also spoof the senders address.

Roland Butter 18:31 13 Apr 2004

cycoze - I have tried word and excel 2000 files and jpegs.
Any message with an attachment gets bounced back from the ISP

lucky1 18:33 13 Apr 2004

If you use Outlook Express that could be blocking your emails with attachments. Have you checked your settings in that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017