Bad_Pool_Caller Error - unable to load Safe Mode

dansplatt 10:04 20 Sep 2008

Hi all - in desperate need of some help because I don't really know what I'm doing,

Family's desktop computer working absolutely fine last night (& I was the last person on it) however this morning when my brother turned on computer (& every time we have restarted it since) we are getting the "blue screen of death" with the BAD_POOL_CALLER message with stop code:
0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xd6e2f000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Stuck this info into google (& on microsoft support site which was no use at all) & I am now in possesion of a BAD_POOL_CALLER fix which I need to enter Safe mode to install, however when I try to enter Safe Mode I once again get a BAD_POOL_CALLER message with stop code:
0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xce8af000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Dan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:05 20 Sep 2008

If you can't get into windows or safe mode then easiest option is to do a repair but you need a CD.

Still needing a CD you could try this first-

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

Recover from a Corrupted Registry Preventing Win XP from Starting
click here;EN-US;q307545

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

dansplatt 13:27 20 Sep 2008

Cheers for this - tried the first thing you suggested but aftering entering
ren systen.alt systemalt.old
i get a message advising the system cant find the file or directory specified.

Will try & find XP CD now - have never booted computer & repaired from CD before so may be back in touch.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 20 Sep 2008

should have said press enter after each line.

dansplatt 13:45 20 Sep 2008

Yeah I did - have found XP cd now so just trying to figure out how to make backup CD (given that I cant actually boot computer) before I re-install XP as I realise I'll lose everything on there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:51 20 Sep 2008

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install,

but your applications and settings will remain intact.

dansplatt 14:00 20 Sep 2008

Ah - it seems I have found the CD provided by Packard Bell to restore computer to factory settings as opposed to the actual XP CD.

This may be a bit of a no-no to ask but if I can't find my XP CD could I use, for example, my neighbours?

Thanks for all of your help by the way!

tullie 14:14 20 Sep 2008

As long as its the same edition i believe you can use your neighbours,but enter your own serial number,this will be stuck on pc somewhere.

dansplatt 14:35 20 Sep 2008

Just accepted license agreement and now on screen reading:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

USe up & down keys to select an item in list.

TO set up windows XP on selected item, press enter.

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

To delete the selected partition, press D.

76317 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
J: Partition1 (inactive (OS/2 Boot MAn 7993 MB( 2412 MB free)
C: Partition2 (HDD) [NTFS] 22764 MB (6644MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB
H: Partition3 (Data) [NTFS] 45544 MB (22991 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB

Apologies that I'm having to be led hand-in-hand through this but I've never done this before & obviously I don't want to corrupt anything further.

Once again - thanks to everyone for their help!

dansplatt 14:36 20 Sep 2008

I should slso have added where do I choose to install windows XP - I'm guessing its J as OS is mentioned which I'm guessing is operating system?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:46 20 Sep 2008

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#!

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Normally would expect to find the old windows on the C partition
If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read

Warning#!
If the option to Repair Install is NOT available and you continue with the install; you will delete your Windows folder and the Documents and Settings folders. All applications installed that place keys in the registry will need to be re-installed and will require the original install media.

You should exit setup if the repair option is not available and consider other options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?