bad sum on screen

colin-189600 20:21 17 Jan 2006

can not get further on the screen !!
when i put motherboard cd in. it starts my recovery, then stops. message is switch off power and restart. when i do that, it is the same as before.
my motherboard is a asus k8v deluxe.i am wondering if i should remove the battery and clear the rtc ram ?

colin

Softstag 20:52 17 Jan 2006

Is this a CMOS checksum error? I think you need to go in to BIOS Setup - usually by pressing <del> immediately after turning the PC on. There should be an option to load defaults, then save and exit. If this returns then you will need to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

colin-189600 21:17 17 Jan 2006

I have tried that and no different response.it says bios recovery on screen, then stops ?

colin-189600 21:24 17 Jan 2006

i should have said, i have not replaced the battery as the motherboard is only a year old. It should still be okay ?

VoG II 21:26 17 Jan 2006

It might help if you tell us exactly what you have done to arrive at this situation.

colin-189600 21:53 17 Jan 2006

it did say on sreen at one point that there was insufficient memory . i have 768 mb installed ?

Softstag 22:51 17 Jan 2006

OK. Can you tell us exactly what happens when you turn your PC on, where the message occurs and what it says.

colin-189600 08:25 19 Jan 2006

when I switch on my fans come on and the screen comes on. it says bad bios checksum. starting bios recovery. checking for floppy disc, not found. chcking for cd dive.not found.

Softstag 18:03 21 Jan 2006

OK, either the BIOS is corrupted, or the CMOS battery is dead. I would change the battery first; they are usually CR-2032 button batteries and can be bought from most places you can buy batteries from (even Tesco). Find the battery on the motherboard and replace it with the new one. Once changed, you may get the same error. Go in to BIOS setup usually by pressing <del> or <F1>; it should say on the screen. Then find the option to load BIOS defaults, and Save and Exit. Strictly speaking the battery should last more than a year, but I have known them not to.

If your problem persists, then it may be that the BIOS has somehow become corrupt. You should download the latest BIOS update from the Asus website and follow their instructions on flashing the BIOS. This hopefully will solve the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:09 21 Jan 2006

CMOS Battery
click here

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR SYSTEM BIOS
click here

PC Bilbo 22:13 21 Jan 2006

I have built 2 A8KV Deluxe systems fot others and from what my memory tells me this board has a crash free BIOS arrangement whereby you can recover to original state using support CD that came with Mobo.

I remember updating to BIOS version 1013 but I believe there have been more since to detect low speed fans and support higher spec CPU's.

Sorry I can't remember more as I didn't need to read up. If it's not a battery problem have a look in the
mobo manual as I'm sure you can

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017