? bad download in ?AVG update? clock wrong

p;3 17:06 09 Feb 2006

Win 98 se IE 6 on tower

interesting occurrances here; despite having rebooted , my computer clock gets put to 00;01 and my AVG internal clock is also out of sync with the world; have the latest avg updates had a bad entry in them?; when I boot up my pc I am now having to press F1 as I apparently have a bad checksom when the computer loads;( it is either that or from the large a 2 update) I have not yet resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling AVG but may well be heading in that direction

VoG II 17:07 09 Feb 2006

The motherboard battery may need changing.

VoG II 17:09 09 Feb 2006

CMOS Checksum error - almost certainly battery click here

p;3 17:10 09 Feb 2006

?? mother board battery? can you expand a bit on that please?

p;3 17:13 09 Feb 2006

this does not sound good; neither does the fact that my mail notifications have not arrived for this thread :(

p;3 17:18 09 Feb 2006

is it a coincidence, but the clock change seems to have only happened since taking ON the two uppdates? and the computer looking for a driver it canot find?

see this thread of mine

click here

coincidence or what?

p;3 22:24 09 Feb 2006

having spoken wth my computer technician, a new battery should be with me at the beginning of the week and hopefully the problems sorted after that; each time I load up tower the date on PC has to be reset, and the AVG icon is black ; I am hoping to be able to resolve my threads later, so others can learn from this ; my computer tech did ask why I did not keep my PC running conmtinuously ??to keep the battery charged ?? first I ahve heard of THAT "need", let alone of the existance OF the battery; and i would have thought I spend sufficient time with the PC on to boost the battery?

VoG II 22:32 09 Feb 2006

The battery is not a rechargeable one - if your PC is more than about 2 years old and you switch off overnight, it has most probably died.

Take photos of your CMOS settings before changing the battery.

p;3 22:37 09 Feb 2006

what difference does switching off overnight DO TO it? my tower is never left ON;

and I am told thast the battery "recharges"? I am somewhat non-plussed that a battery IS inside my pc, considering my pc is also attached to the mains supply for its power!! contradition in terms perhaps?

and ??where are the settings for the CMOS? I do not have an "instant" camera here!!

VoG II 22:46 09 Feb 2006

The motherboard battery maintains your settings whilst your PC is turned off - it is not rechargeable.

To get to the BIOS settings click here

p;3 22:53 09 Feb 2006

thanks for that; I"ll make a note to "make a note" to take a reading of the settings in the BIOS

??what is the "normal" life of one of these batteries? or am I lucky to have gotten away with "no change needed so far" in the life of my tower?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone