Backups for Skinflints

woodchip 10:50 08 Oct 2009

No excuse for not having Backup of your Drive

click here

click here

Sparkly 11:01 08 Oct 2009

woodchip blunt and to the point, but looks good though.
Thanks for the links.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 08 Oct 2009

Soon as I saw "Skinflint" had to click on the thread must be the Scottish blood :0)

I agree backups should be mandatory.

Loss of data = Importance / No. of back ups

I.E. If the data is important to you and you don't have a back up then you are guaranteed to lose it.

Belatucadrus 12:00 08 Oct 2009
  seb2 12:43 08 Oct 2009

Skinflint sounds good to me. Aquired a Dell PowerEdge 400C with a Travan 40 ATPI tape drive. What free softare is there for tape drives. Down loaded 60 day trial of Yosemite which is said to come with the Dell when new but no joy ( dont understand it cant find manual ). Any ideas would be appreciated
seb2

Peter 13:35 08 Oct 2009

Can't say that I've been very impressed with tape drives as they seem rather temperamental. They don't like the cold as the tape gets stiff and doesn't hug the tape head well enough and also the tape heads seem to ware out rather quickly.

With CD & DVD writers and huge external hard disk drives that are available now tape drives aren't a bit old fashioned?

My suggestion to seb2 is to forget about the tape drive and invest in a high capacity external hard disk drive along with Acronis Disk Image Software.

Peter.

sunnystaines 13:48 08 Oct 2009

does your option work with W.7 do you know.

woodchip 15:22 08 Oct 2009

Not according to the Site but its not released yet, So who knows. Probably will do before much longer. And you could try it to see. If its run from Boot it will work with any OS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?