Backups prior to formatting HD

Nonny 11:33 27 Jan 2006

Hi
I am going to format my HD prior to reinstalling Win XP. I have all my program discs but I am not sure about Saving my personal files. Will saving them to a CD be OK?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:46 27 Jan 2006

Saving to CD will be fine ...but do 2 copies and check that each one has burnt all the files you need BEFORE you reformat. It has been know for some to copy the folders from the desktop, reformat and then realise that all the files on the backup were 1 or 2kbs instead of many maegs.

G

Gongoozler 11:48 27 Jan 2006

Hi Nonny. Yes saving your personal files to CD will be fine. You could also save your emails, address book, Favorites etc. Post here if you want more guidance on this. When you have saved everything to CD make sure that you can access the files from there. You wouldn't be the first person who has committed all the important data to cd and then found it wasn't useable. An alternative is to fit a new hard drive as master and use the old one with data intact as slave.

Gongoozler 11:49 27 Jan 2006

GANDALF <|:-)> - there speaks the voice of painful experience ;-))

Diemmess 11:50 27 Jan 2006

Short answer - Yes
Your question implies that you are not keeping a regular backup of this data, so if not, it is high time to set up a system of doing this regularly.

If you already have one or more folders of backed up data, then you can open the burner progamme, Add your folders of saved data and burn.

If you haven't a regime of backing up your work, download a freebie - EZBackitup, which will allow you to choose what to back up and where to store it for normal purposes.
If you only have one drive (C:) you should really be thinking of an extra (external HD) or at least run a pair of multisessional CDs to back up safely, (alternating their use so that at least one cd is likely to be OK in an emergency).

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:01 27 Jan 2006

Not personal experience but a friend of mine saved all his info to a DVD. Reformatted. Put DVD in drive, Drive went kaput and srewed his DVD. I realise that this happens once every preston Guild but the cost of doing 2 copies is not much and if one is corrupt/scratched or the drive goes kaboom.............

G

Nonny 15:10 27 Jan 2006

Thanks guys for all your help. As to making regular backups, like a lot people I come from that good old school of "Complacency High". Yep I know it is veeeery bad but I will take Diemmess advice and copy to CD on a regular basis from now on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?