Backups a cautionary tale

Devil Fish 20:44 19 Nov 2009

with a certain festival nearly on our door step (dont know if im allowed to use the C word yet so i will refrain.) Festival online shopping new pcs and software patch downloads etc

I thought it time to remind people to make regular backups of their files

what has prompted this is i was recently hit by win32.virut (which infects exe files and sends info back to a remote server)after letting my son borrow my computer while i ran security checks on his laptop. Kapersky did a fine job of fighting the onslaught but i could not take risks as the machine is still used for internet shopping etc so a clean install it was

after spending nearly 5 hours reinstalling os games etc and loosing over 100hrs of save games and many files i could no longer trust please make those backups yours may be a lot more important than my save games.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:26 19 Nov 2009

A £30 investment in Acronis True Image would have saved you hours, to restore a back up image takes approximate;t 12 -15 minutes.

Devil Fish 18:53 20 Nov 2009

thank you for your response Fruit Bat /\0/\ i posses a copy of norton ghost which does pretty much the same thing though since i put win 7 rc on my system i havnt backed up as i should

the thread was posted more as a reminder so that unfortunate souls dont get caught with the same problem and much more valuable data at stake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?