Backup/Restore problem

Legolas 18:23 24 Jan 2007

At the urging of some on this forum concerning system backups I done a full backup of my system using Acronis True image.

I then tested it and it was ok, that was a few weeks ago since then I have done incremental backups.

A few days ago my laptop would not boot it was getting to the first screen and then rebooting, this just kept on happening. Supidly I did not make a boot disk for true image, so I did a soft install of XP intending to restore my system from the backup which I have on my USB Drive.

When I tried to restore I was informed that the backup was corrupt. Is there a way to use the backup or is it lost for good and is this a common occurence with true image.

Totally-braindead 20:15 24 Jan 2007

I don't know I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've made my backup, tested it but never had cause to use it.

gudgulf 20:28 24 Jan 2007

Not much help now.......but I've always found that making a full backup works best when done from the Acronis boot disc.

That way you don't boot into Windows and Acronis has no difficulty copying all the files over to your backup drive.

When done from within Windows active programs and Windows directories may sometimes not copy correctly,hence the corrupt archive message.

It's happened to me with Acronis 7 and I had to bite the bullet and reformat.I always keep a straight copy to CD/DVD or my external drive of all documents and music files etc just in case that happens.

Use the full option when making a boot disc as the safe option doesn't include USB drivers.

Incremental backups seem to work fine when done from within Windows.

If you have now made an Acronis boot disc from your soft reinstall of Windows try using that to run the image.

terryf 20:46 24 Jan 2007

You can boot from the Acronis boot disk and choose 'safe mode', this takes longer to restore but I found it would accept a backup file that Acronis full mode would not accept. As is the way with computers, I validated the backup after I had restored from an earlier backup and it said it was OK and I subsequently restored from it. (I had a sequence of backups made when I did a clean install and backed up at each stage as I loaded more programs).

Legolas 20:50 24 Jan 2007

thanks for the replies so far. terryf that sounds interesting I might give that a go

Legolas 20:37 05 Feb 2007

Nothing worked had to format :-(

woodchip 20:43 05 Feb 2007

I have had just may be once with Acronis. But I have several Images If I go back a bit further then it just means loading some software. I do backups of Files Photos etc separate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?