backup XP pro

Baslla321 14:17 05 May 2004

I used my WIN XP backup to make a backup disc but when it was done, I was asked to insert another blank disc, which I presume was for instructions as to how to use this backup disc. Unfortunately, I did not have one available. Do you think that I have to start all over again to obtain these instructions? I looked in Help & Support but did not find anything about this point.

GaT7 14:34 05 May 2004

Read this guide about 'Using the Windows XP Backup Utility' that may help - click here.

Baslla321 15:01 05 May 2004

There is nothing to indicate what the info in the second disc is about. I chose ' All info on this computer' to get the Automated System recovery disc. After it was done it required me to insert another blank CD which I believe was to give me instructions as to how to use this backup disc. Thanks.

Stuartli 15:09 05 May 2004

Are you confusing the floppy ASPR (recovery) disk with the backup of the system done on a CD-R or CD-RW disk (preferably the former as it is much superior to a rewriteable) created during the process?

Baslla321 15:20 05 May 2004

As far as I know, I did a backup of all info on the computer on a CD-RW rewritable disc.

Baslla321 15:22 05 May 2004

When I tried using a CD-R of another make, it did not recognize.

Stuartli 15:31 05 May 2004

It's impossible to get all the info on one disk (System State is perhaps an exception).

Did you get a Desktop shortcut? If so you can check the total that was backed up by right clicking it and selecting Properties.

Opening from the shortcut and choosing the Restore and Manage Media tab in the Backup Panel will list what was backed up.

Baslla321 15:46 05 May 2004

Yes I have now a short cut on desk. Properties says total size 8.78GB; Total on disk 8.78GB: Windows Backup Utility. I suppose it is all compressed !!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017