backup software for windows xp to windows 98se

LABMAN 22:21 21 Aug 2005

Hi folks I'm wonderig if anyone can suggest a free backup software that I can use to transfer stuff from a windows XP machine to one running windows 98SE.

To explain, I've just upgraded my PC at work from and old Packard Bell pc with celeron a 600, 64mb ram and 15gb hard drive running windows 98SE, to a Dell Dimenssion 4600 running windows XP home, Pentium4 2.4, 256mb ram and 80gb hard drive.

On the old pc I used a 250mb zip drive with one step backup and restore softawre for my backups which worked great, I installed this on the new pc to transfer over all my info and it worked the one step resore worked fine, problem arose when I wanted to back up info and transfer it to the old pc, I found the one step backup doesn't work with xp, and of course windows(xp) backup isnt't comaptable with 98se and microsoft backup isn't compatible with xp.

The problem I have the pc is used in work to run a spectrometer and for some reason just draging and dropping the files on to the zip drive doesnt work hence the need for a suitable backup comaptible with xp and 98se, any help much appreciated.

Peter

mattyc_92 20:21 22 Aug 2005

What do you want to backup? If it is just your personal files, why not add them to a "Zip compressed Archive" and unzip on your other machine?

LABMAN 22:03 22 Aug 2005

Hi Mattyc_92,

The files in question are the database results and calibration profiles for my spectrometer at work.

I don't know about zipping them, but as stated I do know that dragging and dropping them onto a zip drive disc doesn't work.

I did download a programme I found a link to on here last night though called EZbackitup, so I've tried it today and it seems to work a treat, so now it's in the hands of the powers that be if they want to purchase the full programme, I've down my stint and found what I was asked to do so I will mark this up as resolved.

Peter

woodchip 22:09 22 Aug 2005

A USB Link Cable click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?