Backup and Restore Wizard

folaboss 15:43 24 Sep 2010

The "Troubleshooter" article in PC Advisor November 2010 issue, page 98, mentions a Performance and Maintenance folder in Control Panel. I'm puzzled - I am running Windows XP SP3 and can find no such folder in my Control Panel. I'm trying to get to the Backup and Restore Wizard to enable me to copy My Documents over to an empty D hardrive automatically on a regular basis. I'm hoping that the back-up would only recognise changes made to My Documents since the last back-up.

The Kestrel 16:04 24 Sep 2010

This should help click here

woodchip 16:35 24 Sep 2010

That's because there isn't one in xp.

PS using the XP backup is only going to restore if you already Have XP loaded on the Hard Drive.
Unlike Acronis that Backups all what's on the drive including Partition information, as an Image that can be restored using the Acronis CD or Rescue CD and the Backup Image on another Drive or Partition

folaboss 16:36 24 Sep 2010

Thanks to "The Kestrel" for trying to help but the weblink given just open a blank page.

The Kestrel's link opens for me, looks like lotsa useful stuff!!

folaboss 17:03 24 Sep 2010

I've now managed to open the page by typing in the full URL. Kestrel's link performed some redirection and that gave me a blank page. Thanks everyone.

folaboss 17:20 24 Sep 2010

Reference my previous message, I've discovered that typing the full URL worked on Google Chrome but not on IE8. That's why I was getting a blank page.

I was using Firefox.

I was using Firefox.

robin_x 22:17 24 Sep 2010

I spent a couple of hours hunting it down a week or so a go.

Google "where is backup & restore wizard xp" and variants thereof.

I did find it and I put this link in my bookmarks.

click here

I dunno if it is the one that helped me or not.

I wasn't impressed with what I got anyway.

Acronis, Easeaus, Paragon are still my preferred choices.

It was only for my old knacked XP laptop anyway.

My new laptop and main desktop both W7 now.
Which has built-in backup and imaging.

robin_x 22:18 24 Sep 2010

Also Sync Toy will do what you want easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?