Backup and restore

johnincrete 17:28 16 Feb 2011

I have got totally confused mainly because advice and help assumes a level of competance I don't have.
On recommendation I have bought Acronis 2010.
I want to do three things:
1. be able to restore my computer systemm and programs in the event that the system hard disk goes duff. This includes the operating system XP and all the progs I have bought and configured.
2. be able to restore all of my data files if the hard drive goes duff
3. be able to restore a good copy of a data file (Word doc or audio mp3) if I accidentally corrupt the working copy.
I have an external disk drive onto which backups can be made and two hard disks one for system & my documents and the other for data.
I have created a bootable disk from Acronis but am not sure what this is i.e. is it just a copy of Acronis or does it include Windows XP for if my system disk goes duff?
Finally, could I backup data to a laptop so that I can use it temporarily if the computer goes duff?
Thanks in advance to all you experts but please use words that this computer user but not expert can understand

mgmcc 17:44 16 Feb 2011

Items 1 & 2.
If you create an "Image" (.tib) file of your hard drive with Acronis, this can be restored to your existing hard drive, thus overwriting its current data or, in the event of disk failure, to a new hard drive. This is an image of the entire drive - operating system, programs and your data.

Item 3.
The .tib image file can be "mounted" so that it appears as a separate drive in the PC. You can then 'drag & drop' or 'copy & paste' any individual file from the backup into your PC's normal drive.

The bootable disk you've created is a CD with which you can boot the PC and run the Acronis program, thus enabling you to restore the backup to the PC should Windows become unbootable. It is called "Bootable Rescue Media" and includes a full copy of the Acronis True Image program.

Diemmess 17:51 16 Feb 2011

In brief

1). Yes ......but not if the drive itself develops a mechanical fault, like motor failure or circuitboard trouble.

2). same as 1.

3. in theory yes, but in fact better to restore the whole drive from a recent backup

Bootable disk? Acronis installation disk will boot for you. The best part of Acronis is that it boots the computer and then will control things like restoring a recent backup of the drive which has become corrupt.

Because of hardware differences, you must restore the operating system to the drive that was backed up. That means you must make backups for each computer from the individual machines.
Data of all sorts can simply be copied or read from a CD.
This to me seems to prove a clear need to keep data drive as a separate partition fom the OS operating syatem.

johnincrete 18:31 16 Feb 2011

If the system disk has been replaced by a new disk cus the old one went duff, does the Rescue disk include XP so that I can copy the system image back onto the new disk, close down, remove the rescue disc & then reboot as normal with XP and progs restored to their old state?

mooly 18:47 16 Feb 2011

The rescue disc is just Acronis. It loads into RAM and doesn't require an operating system to run. If you use the rescue disc it is just like running Acronis from within Windows. Normally you would run Acronis from within Windows, it's only if you can't get into Windows that the disc (CD) comes into it's own.

I use Acronis daily and it's the single most important program I own.

If you don't have an additional external hard drive you must store your backups on another partition on your computer (the D partiton for example). An external drive allows you to keep a copy "off the PC" for ultimate protection should your HDD fail.

mgmcc 19:30 16 Feb 2011

If you create "Bootable Rescue Media", this is a CD that boots the PC and runs Acronis so that you can restore the backup "image" file from the separate media that you created it in.

However, you can backup to multiple CDs/DVDs with the option to include Acronis on the first backup disk. Then you would restore everything from the set of disks.

robin_x 20:13 16 Feb 2011

ie XP is included in the image.

johnincrete 15:41 17 Feb 2011

Now I understand!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?