Backup query

Aeries 16:30 28 Sep 2009

I am considering buying backup software to use with a Seagate external hard drive. In the Backup and Restore Centre included in Windows Vista Home Premium, any files added to folders are included in the backup, but if any files are subsequently deleted from folders on the PC, they remain on the backup on the external hard drive. This means that in a recovery situation, the backup folders will not be identical to the last backup performed. Can anyopne let me know if this is the same when using Acronis True Image Home 2010, or will files deleted from the PC hard drive also be removed from the external hard drive following a backup? Thank you.

Technotiger 17:09 28 Sep 2009

a recovery situation, the backup folders will not be identical to the last backup performed.....

Your question does not appear to make sense??

The last backup performed will be exactly that - a backup of whatever is on the PC at that time!

Unless I am just having a Senior Moment ...

Aeries 17:45 28 Sep 2009

Agreed, it does not appear to make sense, but following a back up, I removed some unwanted photographs my PC. Then to check this point, I did a further backup followed by a recovery. To my surprise, the deleted photographs reappeared in the folder from which they had previously been deleted. Perhaps I am having my Senior Moment...

Technotiger 18:57 28 Sep 2009

When you ran the Recovery to do the check, did you first close down the PC for at least a half-hour or so, or did you just do an almost immediate Recovery run?

Aeries 19:22 28 Sep 2009

I don't remember that, as it was just before I went away on a recent holiday, but I will try a similar backup tonight and a recovery tomorrow.

Technotiger 19:23 28 Sep 2009

OK - I will look in again ...

DieSse 19:52 28 Sep 2009

"if any files are subsequently deleted from folders on the PC, they remain on the backup on the external hard drive."

But surely that's the whole point of a backup. If you delete some files - then find you need to get at them again (say you deleted them by accident) - they will be on the backup.

If you want to synchronise instead - that means your synchronised drive will be a replica of your main drive. Some people recommend synchronisation instead of backing up. To me that seems perverse, and contra to the whole point of a backup.

You can get synchronisation software if you wish. Example click here

Aeries 14:04 29 Sep 2009

To answer Technotiger, I deleted a couple of unwanted photos last night, did a backup and closed the computer for the night. This morning, I did a recovery run and the deleted photos were back in the original folder. This goes to show that DieSse was right. Thank you both for your input.

I think I will follow up on your synchronisation software suggestion DieSse. I would have thought that the Recycle Bin was sufficient for accidental deletions and I would like my external disk to be identical to my most recent backup.

I am Spartacus 14:38 29 Sep 2009

I think I'm missing something here. You deleted some photos then backed up, then recovered and the photos you'd deleted before the backup were now back?

Aeries 15:29 29 Sep 2009

Yes. See DieSse above.

DieSse 21:07 29 Sep 2009

"I would have thought that the Recycle Bin was sufficient for accidental deletions"

Not always - I deleted a folder in my email (accidentally!)and didn't discover it for some time. They don't go into the recycle bin of course.

But a backup image saved the day - I mounted the image and copied the folder back. I couldn't have done that with a synchronised volume!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?