Backup Query

gartoye 16:47 18 Aug 2007

Hi, system specs below. I had RAID0 with no backup until last week when the drives somehow became corrupted & I failed to boot to XP. Lesson learnt I have bought some backup hardware & software, I have browsed the manufacturers sites & just have a few queries regarding backing up.

I bought a Maxtor 250gb SATA drive & Acronis True Image Home 10 off ebuyer. I reinstalled XP onto the existing RAID0 array & added the new drive as a separate additional drive E. I used fdisk to prepare the new drive as FAT32 & XP to convert it over to NTFS (didnt know how else to do it). So I now have a backup drive of 232gb capable of backing up my entire system, I put Acronis on & have done a backup to E: drive & created a recovery disc.

Please advise if this is all I need to do, I can see my backup file in the E: drive in My Computer, I have also configured Acronis to use no compression & figure I now have an exact copy & if the RAID0 fails again I can just run the recovery disk & load in my last backup off E: drive. Is this how it works? Will it know where to put everything on the individual RAID drives? I want to start putting everything back on & would appreciate a bit of reassurance, thank goodness I have all my discs & passwords etc. Many thanks.

Intel Duo E6300
Gigabyte GA965P DS3
x2 Seagate Barracuda 80gb SATA (160gb RAID0)
Maxtor Diamondmax 250gb SATA (backup)
x4 512mb 667 Corsair Value Select

silverous 17:53 18 Aug 2007

How about doing a small test to get some reassurance i.e. have a go at restoring some individual files?

gartoye 18:37 20 Aug 2007

Thanks for the response silverous, I went to do this but then realised what I needed to do was set up a Secure Acronis Zone on the new hard disc & activate the recovery manager to write something to BIOS, I now have the backup hidden away in this secure zone & can acces the recovery manager by hitting F11 on bootup if required, many thanks all sorted.

gartoye 18:37 20 Aug 2007

Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?