backup to pc of home movies

pookie 21:50 06 Jan 2008

Hi all

I have transferred my camcorder old family videos to my dvd hard drive/recorder plugged into tv. From there I have recored them all on to dvd disks. The disks with the home videos on work fine on another video recorder plugged into another tv so i am happy that they are finally backed up on dvd now.

I want to take a second back up copy of them on to my external hard drive through my pc. PC is windows xp (sp2), media player 11 and all updated. I also have nero 7 if that helps. When i put in any of the dvd disks they play via media player ok (except no sound?) but i can not back up the dvds to external drive. If i back up via nero it says it'll take 23 hours (for 1 disk), if i open the dvd via explorer and copy files it stops after a few minutes and says unable to transer files.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

P

Technotiger 22:03 06 Jan 2008

Video movie files take up a heck of a lot of room on a hard drive.

To play with sound you probably need the full XP Codec pack click here

Joe R 22:03 06 Jan 2008

pookie,

would it not be a better idea, to convert your dvd's to Avi, or some other similar format, before transferring them. This would save a lot of space.

The following link provides a free program to convert them. click here

100andthirty 22:21 06 Jan 2008

you should check whether the discs were finalised in the HDD/DVD recorder.

eedcam 22:30 06 Jan 2008

Notwithstanding 10030's reference to finalizing .Suggest you down load the freebie
DVD shrink
click here
Open the dvd init thenselect backuo and choose either create disc image or save to folder (both same size) and select the drive you want to save to. It should takeless than an an hour approximately to transfer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?