Backup to HD with two USB cables?

Awfers 16:29 10 Jun 2009

Hi Everyone!

Am new here and have a question regarding backup.

I have an old Sony Vaio running XP that I want to backup.

I swapped the HD out of my Mac Mini (brand new) and put it into a enclosure that uses 2 USB cables (one for power, the other for data I imagine).

Will this cause any problems when I clone the drive?

Thanks!
Awfers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:41 10 Jun 2009

No

mgmcc 17:41 10 Jun 2009

You might be interested in the program "SuperDuper" click here which will create a copy of your Mac's hard drive in an external drive. If the external drive can connect by Firewire, rather than USB 2.0, the Mac can boot directly from the copy in the external drive.

Awfers 18:41 10 Jun 2009

Thanks mgmcc, but I don't need to backup my Mac, I'm backing up a PC (I know about SuperDuper, but prefer Carbon Copy Cloner).

For my PC, I'm looking at using (<A HREF="click here" title="click here" TARGET="_new">StorageCraft</A>).. Anyone have any experience with this vs Acronis?

Thanks!
Awfers

Awfers 18:42 10 Jun 2009

Ok... I can't get the hang of posting URLs......

Nor can I edit my post it seems...

DieSse 19:52 10 Jun 2009

"Will this cause any problems when I clone the drive?"

No, it shouldn't. Cloning should replace everything on the target drive with a duplicate of what's on the source drive.

In the event that the clone program may object to something about the format of the ex-mac drive, you could run Killdisk to return it to an "unused-like" state. Then the cloning will definitely work.

Awfers 16:05 11 Jun 2009

Thanks DieSse!

Will attack that tonight.. reformat the drive first..

Cheers!
Awfers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?