backup from hard disk to external disk drive

weebesum 12:48 16 Sep 2005

My computer keeps refusing to start up. I have to re-install windows each time. Hard disk keeps making a "funny" noise. I have an 80gb hard drive and have used 40gb so far. I want to back up everything incase my hard drive fails. Could I backup to an external disk drive? would I need to install windows on the external drive. or is there a better way to save all my files, downloads, and software? When I bought the PC it came with software already installed and a recovery disk. But obviously I dont want restore to factory settings as I will loose everything. Any advice would be much appreciated.

ICF 13:08 16 Sep 2005

You could use commercially available back up software like Ghost click here or Acronis click here

Yoda Knight 13:12 16 Sep 2005

use the search facility on the forum.

Look for acronis true image and norton/symantec ghost - that will solve your problem

weebesum 13:55 16 Sep 2005

Brilliant! Thanks to both for the advice(and the quick response) I think the recommended software is exactly what I need and will purchase first thing tomorrow.

popgeorge 13:22 24 Sep 2005

Hi
you can buy this months copy of PCanswers with a free copy of Trueimage version 8. I have been checking it out and its all you will need.
Sorry if i'm a bit late.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?