Backup to external HD without partition?

nathan doin 20:16 23 Oct 2005

I have a laptop -using XP pro - and have an external hard drive of 250GB - via a USB port. Is it possible to backup the laptop complete system -as, I believe, Ghost would do and without creating a separate partition on the drive. The drive already holds a lot of data, and I would hope to backup to a folder, from which I could restore the laptop to exactly the state it is in now.
Thanks in anticipation. Rob

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:22 23 Oct 2005

All you need to do is create a folder on the external drive and back up to that folder. Partitioning is so twentieth century. ;-))

De Marcus™ 20:23 23 Oct 2005

Yes agreed, I use acronis, a small outlay with few headaches, it will create a backup.tib file on your external drive with which you can use to restore from.

plough 20:35 23 Oct 2005

I have almost same set up as you. Laptop, XP Pro 120 GB External HD via USB. I do a full backup with Acronis TrueImage very week, takes less than 30 minutes, always keeping the last two backups. Works perfectly.

nathan doin 22:05 23 Oct 2005

Thank you all so much. will now proceed with confidence

wee eddie 22:10 23 Oct 2005

Did here you right.

I thought that you were a tyro with Partition Magic

wee eddie 08:57 24 Oct 2005

The joys of a Spell-checker. Maybe I need a re-Reader

Of course.

Did I hear you right!

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:37 24 Oct 2005

Indeed; I have always said that there is no need to partition with any modern computer. There are no benefits whatsoever with modern HD drives, processors etc. I also maintain that you should never have a bckup on your main disk...use an external disk that can be removed. I use Acronis to backup to external drives and these drives merely have folders. My advice is to dump the partitions and NEVER backup onto the same disk as your OS.

G

nathan doin 10:33 27 Oct 2005

Thank you all, again, for the information. I now have a copy of Acronis, have backed up to my external drive, and feel pretty smug!!

PS: wee eddie... wot u on abowt?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?