backup of desktop

afreen 12:56 01 Jul 2007

how doi takebackup of allthe icons on the dewsktop? pl help...i need to format my pc too

Totally-braindead 13:49 01 Jul 2007

I think you had better explain what you mean, the icons on the desktop are just shortcuts to the programs that are elsewhere, theres no point in backing them up as even if you do and you reinstall them on the desktop they won't do anything as the program they refer to won't be there.

Arnie 13:55 01 Jul 2007

Backing up the icons is no help to you.
They are only a means of linking to the full programs they represent.

If you are going to reformat, you will have to reinstall all your programs. When this is done you will be able to link to the Desktop, those programs with their respective icons.

Arnie 13:56 01 Jul 2007

You beat me to it.

afreen 14:35 01 Jul 2007

ok how to reformat all those programs from the c drive then?

johndrew 14:48 01 Jul 2007

`.. reformat ..`

Do you mean delete, uninstall, stop running or what?

Arnie 14:52 01 Jul 2007

You don't reformat the programs.

The drive is reformatted and by doing so it will wipe clean all the programs, MS downloads and your operating system (OS).

If your copy of XP or other OS is on the hard drive and you fully format the whole drive it will remove that as well.
This means you will need a CD with the OS on it, or a full backup CD with all its programs.

Unless you have experience reformatting should not be taken lightly.

Why do you need to fully format your "PC" i.e. hard drive? Is it running slowly?

Arnie 14:52 01 Jul 2007

You don't reformat the programs.

The drive is reformatted and by doing so it will wipe clean all the programs, MS downloads and your operating system (OS).

If your copy of XP or other OS is on the hard drive and you fully format the whole drive it will remove that as well.
This means you will need a CD with the OS on it, or a full backup CD with all its programs.

Unless you have experience reformatting should not be taken lightly.

Why do you need to fully format your "PC" i.e. hard drive? Is it running slowly?

Arnie 14:55 01 Jul 2007

the double posting; the site was reset for some reason.

Totally-braindead 18:40 01 Jul 2007

Lets see if we can find out exactly what you want to do.
Do you wish to completely blank the computer and install windows afresh so that all that is on your computer is windows.
Then add whatever programs you wish to use.
OR do you want to get rid of some of the programs on your computer.
Which is it?

If its blanking the computer and reinstalling from scratch you will need all your disks, both for the operating system(windows) together with you key number and the motherboard driver disk and you will also need the disks for any program you wish to put back on the computer.

In case you don't realise, if you blank the computer and reinstall windows you lose everything and I mean everything, all programs, documents, emails addresses everything. It will all be gone and you won't be able to get anything back.

Perhaps if you explain what is wrong as you have been asked someone can help.

afreen 07:26 02 Jul 2007

well, i need to format a pc that has been infected by virus in our office. So, do i have to download the antivirus software first?

Also, on another pc, i have to copy everything from one user to another...as that particular useris being added to the domain and she needs her old settings and all her softwares when she logs on using the new user name as well

pl help me on this matter

hope the question is clear now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone