Backup copy of hard drives

Sussex Dodo 10:30 03 Jul 2010

I have an external hard drive and regularly backup my docs and settings from both my desktop and laptop.

However, I would like to copy the hard drives of both computers for safe keeping in case of failure. Do you use discs for this and if so what kind and how do you go about it?
Thanks

Sparkly 10:41 03 Jul 2010

Have a look here
click here
Allso often offerd as an answer is
click here

BRYNIT 17:15 03 Jul 2010

Paragon Backup and recovery 10 click here

Easeus ToDo backup 1.1 click here

Both free and easy to use.

BRYNIT 19:24 03 Jul 2010

I should have said Although you could backup to disks with some programs it would be unwise due to the amount of disk required and the possibility of the disks not working. You have an external hard drive that you can create backup copies onto, just create/name folders for the backups so you know which backup belong to which computer.

johndrew 09:59 05 Jul 2010

Many people would recommend Acronis True Image click here for backing up, cloning drives, etc. It is not free but the latest version offers an option for online backup if you feel the need.

Generally you can buy the software slightly cheaper at sites such as Amazon click here and also buy earlier versions at a greater discount if they suit your purpose.

I should add that I have used ATI for some years and find both the software and support second to none.

johndrew 10:01 05 Jul 2010

I also should have said that what BRYNIT says about media is very true. An external HDD is the best option provided you keep it safe.

geek12 13:05 12 Jul 2010

You can try Handy Backup click here for backup copy of hard drives.

DieSse 23:19 30 Jul 2010

If you have a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive - either in the systems or as the backup drive, you can get their free (restricted) version of Acronis. It will do complete drive clones and images, just as the full commercial version.

Terry Brown 14:28 05 Aug 2010

As BRYNIT says, If you back up a large amount of DATA to a set of DVD's, and just one of them fails, you lose everything.

An external Harddrive (USB)is your best option, you could split it into 2 drives and use this for the 2 machines. However as you are mainly backing up documents and settings, not whole systems, I would recommend you copy the actual documents to the back up drive.

this is a much more reliable system then DVD's.

An easy option is to do the following.
From the Desktop, right click on My Documents and select properties, change the default to the new drive, and select move.

This will move all your documents to the new drive / folder.
In the event of your main harddrive failing, your documents will be safe on another drive.
Terry

daytimers82 14:25 07 Aug 2010

I thought the do do has gone extinct is there one in Sussex, quick give us the details i come down and take a picture

daytimers82 14:26 07 Aug 2010

I use acronis to make a backup copy by cloning the disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017