Backup, Backup, Backup

Input Overload 13:42 23 Oct 2009

last night I closed my PC down that was running very nicely. This morning I booted up whil I had a cup of tea & after the initial dell screen i got in small letters on a black screen - 'There is no operating system' and that was that.

However the day before I had made an Acronis Image & with trembling hands inserted the boot CD and restored yesterdays image. Total time 10 mins or so. I now have a working PC. If I had no image backup system I would be formatting.... Sob.

I do 2 images a week, & have a delete system as each month goes by. Take note if your letting your backup system slip a little.

sunnystaines 14:09 23 Oct 2009

you solved the problem

but did you find the cause?

Input Overload 14:16 23 Oct 2009

Two stars collided 100,000 light years away 2AM GMT which created a graviton wave which damaged my boot sector.

Sometimes these things happen, if it happens again I will investigate more thoroughly but the only thing I have done is install O&O Defrag. My point was backup because a spike coming down your modem or a high mains spike etc can all cause these issues. I have my system running through a rather large UPS that gives 220 volts at 50htz 24/7 so I can rule mains issues out.

Woolwell 15:04 23 Oct 2009

Have a thorough check of your hard drive. When this happened to me my hard drive had died.
I had back ups.

Input Overload 15:08 23 Oct 2009

Ill do that Woolwell, although the PC is only a few weeks old & both hard drives have a 5 year warranty, so Ill check them out.

sunnystaines 15:27 23 Oct 2009

does sound like hdd on way out.

i prefer jk defrag to the O&O defrag

Input Overload 15:29 23 Oct 2009

Done a boot disc check, no problems found. I'm going to have a poke round inside to see if a SATA cable could be lose. Then if all is OK I'll just see if the issue reoccurs.

I have Everest on too and that showed on S.M.A.R.T that all is well on both drives.

I still think Acronis True Image or similar is a must have. I would have had to do a recovery & install all my applications again & as I'm really fussy about how my PC's are set-up it takes days to get it just right.

Thanks for the replies BTW.

woodchip 17:00 23 Oct 2009

He did what I do, Why worry about what did it! unless it happens again. its easier to just restore a Image and forget it

Input Overload 23:35 23 Oct 2009

Thanks Woodchip my thoughts entirely. I was back with a full working PC with all my apps configured etc. before my tea went cold. Why we had to go off on a tangent I don't know.

sunnystaines it's the new version 12 of O&O & much better & different than previous incarnations, have you tried it out?.

I also have a licence for PerfectDisk. The PC has a 3 year warranty and both 1TB Western Digital drives have a 5 year warranty so I'm not going to lose a nano seconds sleep.

Sometimes I have found in maintaining & system building in the last 14 years, these things just happen & searching for the cause is often a waste of time, now if it does it again I'll phone DELL & they will do a home visit.

I think I'm going to stop posting as it seems people just want to be awkward, I was just recommending always having a backup or lots of time & patience & it not being an issue to lose data. I can sort out the cause no problem.

sunnystaines 09:43 24 Oct 2009

glad to see it never came back and all is well.

Input Overload 22:07 26 Oct 2009

The fault has not re-occurred, so who knows. I did try a registry cleaner I later found out to be a fake, so it was probably that. I just have JV16 on now that I trust & a program called 'Registry Booster' that got some good write ups.

I also use a program called 'Win Rescue' that enables a backup of the registry to be made in 30 seconds,& then a registry to be restored in Windows. I have used this for some years & it's got me out of some scrapes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?