Backing up your system

ole1999 18:31 31 Jan 2005

I had nothing better to do so i thought i would back up my entire system, it used 14 discs.
My question is, what exactly does it back up, have i got my entire p.c on my discs, when would it come in useful, do i just reload them all to get everything back if i have any major problems!

Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 31 Jan 2005

How did you back it up?

How will you get your CD working ("if I have any major problems") to copy it back?

I have my whole C:\drive and op system backed up to another drive. Unforunately it didn't help me on Saturday when everything crashed.

Perhaps other forum mebers will answer these questions

ole1999 19:08 31 Jan 2005

Hi , i actualy just used back up on RECORD NOW DELUXE to back up my entire system, took about 5 mins for each disc, then i had to go thru it all again inserting all 14 discs again for about 5mins, just curious as to what it exactly backs up!
cheers

mattyc_92 19:13 31 Jan 2005

It should of backed up your whole system (operating system and everything else)....

I used to use Norton Ghost , but I kept on getting error messages from it, so I made the "switch" to Acronis True Image and I haven't had any problems at all and it has saved me about 6 or 7 times so far...

Modo 19:31 31 Jan 2005

Unless it is bootable all you will probably effectively have is a copy of your hard drive - (several really important operating files will almost certainly not have been permitted through the copy process.)

The good news is that you will have all your documents and e-mails.

Bad news, and most likely scenario, is none of the programs would transfer functionally back to a new hard drive - but you will have somewhere on those cd's all your latest drivers - which is pretty useful and not to be underestimated.

You got a good commendation for Acronis above - as always on this forum. It doesn't always get praise elsewhere.

I can give a less wholehearted recommendation for Max Blaster in that Office XP & 2003 wouldn't reload operationally. But everything else did with a few workarounds.

From experience I give the thumbsdown for a complete restore to

1 Windows BackUp - ashtray on a motorbike
2 Nero - clumsy, awkward and ultimately useless
3 Retrospect in the Maxtor One Touch version - credible but not completely effective

But all of these will save your personal documents - Nero with encryption hell if you don't watch the settings. To be fair to Nero it is an added feature to an otherwise excellent product.

ole1999 20:23 31 Jan 2005

Thank you for the quick responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)