Backing up Windows XP Operating System

housefish981 13:48 11 May 2005

Have just bought a new pc with Windows XP pre-installed. The retailer provided me with a recovery CD but I was also advised to burn my own copy of the OS onto DVD just in case.

Am a total novice when it comes to anything like this. Do I just copy the files from the "Windows" directory onto DVD or is there something else I need to do?

Apologies for such a basic question....Answers much appreciated!

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 11 May 2005

Something like Ghost or Acronis True Image will create an image of the OS as it is now. When fully updated and running as you want, you can create an image of it and if you need to reinstall you can restore the image.

Ghost is my preference: click here for an excellent guide.

Brian-336451 14:08 11 May 2005

Often, but not always, the recovery CD IS Windows XP - both my laptops from different manufacturers come with a 'recovery' CD, both are full copies of XP Pro.

Failing that, it is not sufficient just to copy the files to DVD as that is not the way it works.

I have my operating system on a small partition and have backed it up (that is, the whole partition) using Norton Ghost.

Let us know if this doesn't answer your query after you've looked at the CD.

David4637 15:08 11 May 2005

I have a recovery XP CD, but when run it would format the HD which is NOT what I want. I tried to make an "XP" CD by copying the I386 folder and all the files to a CDR, but it will not run to the normal set up dialog box. I want to create an XP CD, but so far I have not managed too - any ideas. Thanks David

Diodorus Siculus 15:49 11 May 2005

click here
Making a Windows Installation CD from a Recovery Disk

David4637 15:07 12 May 2005

Thanks for your reply, but I did use the site you recommended, but the CD booted to the Set up dialog box and asked for a .dll in a folder that was not on the new CD created from the I386 folder. Any other web sites you or anyone can recommend to create a XP CD from a factory CD? Thanks David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?