backing up vista

vectradam 16:12 27 Nov 2009

i have had a dell laptop for approx 18 months and am starting to get a few niggly problems. i wish to have a copy of vista in case the computer fails completely but i either did not receive a vista cd or i just cant find it. is there any way to copy vista to cd for safekeeping.

out of interest ,the laptop was bought by me ,new in january 2008 so is it likely to have come with a vista cd or not .(i may be able to give up looking for it)

many thanks

Technotiger 16:26 27 Nov 2009

The best way would be to make a full backup using Acronis or similar, and save your backup, preferably on a USB External hard drive.

vectradam 23:38 27 Nov 2009

the laptop has the windows vista product key sticker on it , so does this mean it would have come with the vista cd . if so can i get another one somehow. if you dont get operating systems supplied , what do you do after a serious failure or a re formatting

thanks

rawprawn 08:16 28 Nov 2009

With Laptops there is usually a hidden "Recovery Partition" and when you first get it instructions on how to make a "Recovery Disk" which it is advisable to do.
Read your instruction manual and see what it says about recovery.
I do not have a Dell, but I would be surprised if it does not have a recovery partition.

rawprawn 08:24 28 Nov 2009

Try pressing CTRL+F11 as you turn your machine on.

rawprawn 08:28 28 Nov 2009

Although I am not sure it applies to all models

To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with click here appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.
5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

6 When prompted, click Yes.
The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the
screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that
appeared the first time the computer was turned on.
7 Click Next.
The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.
8 After the computer restarts, click OK.
End of quote

The Symantec image file is stored in a hidden partition of a little over 3GB.

rawprawn 08:29 28 Nov 2009

The click here should read Dell.com

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:07 28 Nov 2009

Of course if the hard drive fails or you wish to fit a larger drive the image on that drive becomes useless therefore an investment in Acronis (as susgested by Technotiger) is worth its weight in gold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?