Backing up using Acronis True Image 9

tammer 16:46 31 Jul 2006

Noob question here I'm afraid -

I have created an image of my hard disk on to my external hard drive using ATI 9. I have the original CD for ATI 9 so does that mean I do not have to create a "Bootable Recovery Media disk" for use if Windows can't run?

For info, I have Windows XP Home SP2.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BRYNIT 19:20 31 Jul 2006

The easiest way would be to boot from the disk but remember to leave your external hard drive connected and switched on. If it allows you to boot into True image check that your external hard drive and image are accessible.

johndrew 20:23 31 Jul 2006

You can boot directly from ATI 9 disk and use that to access your external drive. It should also let you make a further image from your external drive to a new drive in your PC.

However, you will only be able to update the image made now by creating another image and overwriting it. I would suggest the prudent thing to do would be to make a backup of your drive on the external and update this. In the event of failure of the main PC drive or OS you could then simply reinstall Windows from that and it would be up to date; if you make regular backups. Your choice but ATI is marketed as a backup utility. ATI also offers the facility to `Add A New Disk` if you do suffer a drive failure, so it should be easier than the way you appear to be currently going.

terryf 21:55 31 Jul 2006

I would definately advise making an ATI bootable disk because I am not sure if you will be able to boot from the distribution disk and restore. I always use the bootable disk and never have any problems. I think that the bootable disk is based on linux but if you want to experiment, boot from the ATI disk and see whether it will let you restore. Is there a problem in burning the bootable disk?

tammer 22:04 31 Jul 2006

No problem with burning the bootable disk, I've just not found ATI all that forthcoming with tips on how to actually recover if things go wrong. I'm new to all this so I could easily be doing something daft.

I see (on the box) that ATI 9 comes with a "Recovery Manager" which should (I think) allow me to hit F11 on booting to access ATI to then recover. Is that correct, and that should mean the bootable disk is unnecessary?

Johndrew - the image is on a separate Maxtor drive and I think I should be able to take incremental or update backups from now on?

terryf 05:21 01 Aug 2006

I put in the bootable disk, re-boot and then choose recovery from the menu, the wizard then allows you to choose the 'tib' file that you want to use to restore. If you accept all the defaults, it works fine first time. I have chosen not to keep any data, docs, pics, etc on my C drive. All this is on D drive and so a restore is only progs and OS. The only exception is email and browser data (such as favorites, bookmarks, settings, history) which I backup using a prog called EA8.
The bootable disk is for when your OS is screwed up but I only use that method so as to get a clean instal.

johndrew 09:45 01 Aug 2006

Acronis say the facility to make a bootable disk is specifically there for those who buy online. If you buy the CD you can use that to boot - it does the same as a bootable disk. I agree it is always worthwhile having a `working disk` as this can be used rather than the `master`.

Are you getting confused between an `image` and a `backup`? An image is an exact replica of your drive whereas a backup contains all the information from the partition/drive - normally in a compressed state. I don`t think you can add incremental or differential backups to an image, you can only re-write the drive.

As for using Recovery Manager click here I hope you don`t have problems.

UncleP 12:04 01 Aug 2006

The confusion is not helped by the fact that Acronis refer to both types of back-up (disk images and files/folders) as 'back-up archives', but often in their literature appear to be referring only to the latter.

You can add incremental or differential back-ups to stored disk images (see section 5.2 of the User's Guide for TI9 - a pdf file on the Acronis website), but my feeling is that the incremental option is slow and time-consuming. It is really only of value if you want the option of returning to one of the different systems stored at the incrementing times.

tammer 14:03 01 Aug 2006

I'll see how I get on.

From what I've read, ATI is a good product. It could just do with being a little more user friendly.

Tammer

johndrew 15:35 01 Aug 2006

Yes it is a bit confusing but I see what you mean. I feel the sensible and quicker way to use ATI 9 is as a backup utility - primarily - with the other features as support.

I find the incremental backup to be reasonable in terms of time but agree as I can see little use for an incremental option against the disk image feature. Having never used it I can`t comment on time constraints.

The utility still meets, and exceeds, my needs/wants but perhaps the support documentation could do with an overhaul. I get the impression it has either simply evolved or several people have contributed with no overall control. Shame really; it takes the polish off a very good product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?