Backing Up 'Systems' & 'Software' Etc.

dublincity 12:08 09 May 2004

I've had a new PC for 6 months and am on Win XP Pro although I don't have the formatting CD('s). I save my work (when I remember!) onto a CD by first copying it into sub-folders within one master folder.

I don't understand how to back up 'systems',
'software' or 'e.mails' etc. Nor do I know what a 'boot-up disk' is. Can anybody provide links to relevant websites?

In practice, I've been able to overcome most problems by either pressing the re-set button or using 'System Restore'. I have come across several costly online services and (shareware) programs.

Can I easily back-up my OS systems, software and work onto CD's in such a way that they could be re-installed in the future in the event of a crash? I experienced 5 of those in the past on old PC's! Many Thanks, Mike.

rawprawn 12:19 09 May 2004

The best and safest way I have found is Acronis True Image 7, it makes it's own partition and stores everything in there, or you can put it on a cd. It also makes it's own boot disc. Each time you boot your computer you are give a chance (press F11) to install your whole system & files afresh. It costs about £35

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?