Backing up settings

Mr Scone 18:36 09 Mar 2003

I have been having problems with system crashes and generally slow performance from my Athlon 1900xp pc and have decided to have a fresh start and format the HDD to clear out all the rubish that has accumulated. My question is, can i back up all the settings from programs like word, internet explorer, or other programs?

For example, my auto correct and distionary in word.

Hope someone can help,

MS

Mr Scone 21:39 09 Mar 2003

refresh

temp003 03:49 10 Mar 2003

click here for backing up auto correct entries for Word 2002. It has a link to Word 2000 (which in turn has links to previous versions of Word)

temp003 04:28 10 Mar 2003

Word dictionary is in a file called custom.dic. Where it's stored depends on the OS. Search for this file on your computer, back it up, and restore it in the same location on the new installation.

If you've changed your Word default template (normal.dot) or created your own templates, back the files up from the Templates folder.

bigray 06:18 10 Mar 2003

I put in a removable drive bay ( cost £7 )managed to get a second hand 10gb drive for it, when PC was loaded with the programs I wanted after a new format. I then used Norton Ghost,it takes about twenty mins after a crash to reset my PC, hope this helps.

€dstow 07:10 10 Mar 2003

Look in your Windows Help & Support to find out about Files & Settings Transfer Wizard. This can put all your personalised stuff on to another drive/CD/Zip disk.

€d

Mr Scone 10:10 10 Mar 2003

ok, thanks guys. As usual you have been very helpful.

MS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?