Backing up SAGE data files on external hard drive

helenmc 16:01 11 Jan 2007

I recently purchased an external hard drive to back up data files on SAGE as an alternative to discs. The backup process appears to work normally, but I am unable to actually open the files from the hard drive. Is this because the hard drive is not configured for SAGE? Is it possible to open the files some way to ensure the data is all there? Does anyone else back their SAGE data files up onto a hard drive? What are your experiences? Grateful for any assistance and tips on backing up SAGE data! Thanks.

Jackcoms 16:05 11 Jan 2007

Are you trying to access the files by simply clicking on them from the external drive?

If so, you have answered your own question - "Is this because the hard drive is not configured for SAGE?"

Can you open the files by opening Sage and then accessing the external drive file from within the program?

Kingfisher 16:07 11 Jan 2007

I would think that you will need the sage program on your external hard drive to open these data files, you could try installing on the hard drive but it may not work, at least you have your data files backed up, just drag and drop them back to your original location when you need to work on them
good luck

Kingfisher 16:09 11 Jan 2007

Jackoms solution sounds like a good idea

helenmc 16:18 11 Jan 2007

Jackcoms, I am away from the computer that has SAGE installed today, but that sounds like a sensible suggestion that i have not tried as yet. I suspect, Kingfisher, that i would encounter various problems if I tried installing the programme again on the hard drive, if this is even possible?! - I am not the most technically minded :-/. My concern when i was working on this last night was that i was getting the message that another user has the programme open, as only one copy of the programme can be open at any time. I am worried about losing data if i play around with it too much, as i am trying to get customers to pay invoices and need to know who owes what!! Thanks both for your prompt advice, though. I will get back to you when i have tried Jackcoms' suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires