Backing up program's to put back onto a wiped computer?

PC_HelpMe 21:04 06 Aug 2014
Answered

My computer is a good few years old now (runs on windows xp home) and it's doing a series of clicks when trying to boot up so I'm guessing it's nearing the end of it's life.

Anyway, I've backed up everything document/photo/video wise that I need, BUT

it has some software programs on it that I want to use again once I restore the computer to it's factory settings (to see if it sorts out the booting problem), but I don't have any discs for them so I reckon I got them off the internet (but I don't think I can get them anymore).

My question basically is this - is there some way I can copy the file of particular software programs that will allow me to install them again back onto my computer?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:16 06 Aug 2014

it's doing a series of clicks when trying to boot up

Hard drive dying fast :0(

Very unlikely you can move the programs as they will have enries in the registry.

You could try cloning the drive and using the new drive as a dual boot on your new machine or even keep old machine with new drive.

PC_HelpMe 22:29 06 Aug 2014

Thanks fruit bat - I was afraid this may be the answer.

I guess I'll have to find some more up to date programs to the ones I was used to then :-/

rdave13 23:03 06 Aug 2014

Don't use the PC until you get an equivalent hard drive for your machine. If its old check connections for an IDE or SATA drive. Open the case to see. Google will show the differences under images.

Once you know your drive get a usb caddy for IDE and or SATA or one that supports both. Amazon is usually good but others might still support both such as SCAN, Ebuyer etc.

Once you have set up your new drive in the caddy then connect to PC and boot up.

Install Paragon Backup & Recovery free, link, then clone the drive to the usb one. Paragon uses the term "copy" rather than clone. In the opening wizard it will ask you to select drives or different partitions. Click on the top to highlight. Nex window asks what to clone. If your drive is partitioned then tick all the boxes. Clicking next will ask for a destination drive. Select the usb one. Hopefullu windows will have already given it a letter. It is unusual these days that you need to format a new drive. Let Paragon clone "copy" all. Go for a cup of tea.

Once done shut down the PC. Disconnect from any power and swap the 'cloned' hard drive with the old one. Boot up.

rdave13 23:16 06 Aug 2014

Some IDE drives still left for sale here at Amazon but dwindling fast as its old technology, if that's the type of drive you have left. You might get a few more years of useful usage so long as the mobo keeps up.

Good luck.

PC_HelpMe 01:03 07 Aug 2014

Ooh rdave I may try this actually. I already have a caddy as I'd had to repair errors on the pc hdd before via my laptop (all suggested by you folks on here I might add) but I'll need to find my previous posts on here to find out what my existing hdd is lol.

rdave13 01:15 07 Aug 2014

Just open the case with the power off. Look at this, will show what drive you have.

rdave13 01:41 07 Aug 2014

One quirk of Paragon is once you set the 'copy' / cloning wizard running and ticking all the boxes it will say it is committed virtually and you must tick the Apply icon near the top left of the page. This just gives you time to check what you're doing. Remember to 'copy' and not to create an image this time as you don't have much time left with the original HDD with that ticking sound.

Whatever happens you're in a win win position. If the drive fails before you can copy it then you will have a perfectly good external drive for backup that will last years. If you successfully clone/copy it, physically swap over and boot to XP then you will have your old PC back and the hard drive will outlast the mobo possibly.

rdave13 02:12 07 Aug 2014

On my way to bed I just realised one more thing. If you've never done this before be aware that ide and sata drives come in different sizes. The 3.5" (large drive) is for desktops. The smaller 2.5" is for laptops. If the caddy you have is for the smaller drive you can still use it but buy brackets to mount the small drive physically to the desktop. see here.

Check your caddy is also compatible, ie IDE or SATA.

PC_HelpMe 17:09 07 Aug 2014

Thanks rdave that's a lot of info for me to have a read through :-)

Silly question here and I apologise - but if I clone my hdd to a new one, wouldn't I be cloning all the boot up problems too (or is how it boots up completely separate to what's on the hdd)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 07 Aug 2014

wouldn't I be cloning all the boot up problems too

no because your problems are the heads not reading the drive on start up and may soon not read at all

the new drive heads will read the new drive and if any corrupt files get cloned they can be fixed easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?