Backing up problems.

Miros 11:53 24 Oct 2006

I have recently reinstalled XP having first done a back up using Paragon 6 on to an external hard drive.
I then used Paragon to load back my old programs, I thought I would be allowed to be selective about this, but in fact it came back with all the old garbage. Things went wrong and I ended up doing a number of reinstalls, had a massive problem with windows wizard wanting to go on line to search for modem driver :-)got over that somehow!
Having done reinstall again and again got back my security bits and updated system patches for windows, things are OK and running smooth, and I want to keep It that way.
The problem now is that ' remnants ' of old files are listed on my C drive though most are unusable.
I have tried to open up my external hard drive and it seems to run forever, and I feel it's no longer accessible.
Truth is I'm unfamiliar with the workings of both Paragon 6 and The external hard drive, and when I do switch on the external hard drive it brings nothing up on the screen to indicate what it's doing or to help. If I can gain access to it, in there I think should be a copy of Acronis which seems to come well recommended on this forum, maybe I should have used that rather than Paragon, but it's to late now.
Any help guidance I would gratefully receive, but I don't want to do that full recovery bit again, I will avoid that at all costs.

GaT7 18:49 24 Oct 2006

If you have an original WinXP disk why don't you do a FRESH (or clean) install after backing up your data manually?

Then you could reinstall afresh the programs you really need, update WinXP & restore the backed-up data. This way you will not have any remnants of old files either. G

rawprawn 19:08 24 Oct 2006

click here Off thread I know, but this came from you in the first place I think, if I am wrong please excuse me.

Miros 12:30 25 Oct 2006

First Crossbow I've been cross old git for the past 24 hours, got in another mess, and had to do exactly as you suggested, but then couldn't log on to my ISP because someone had removed filter from a phone line. My hearing and those Indian call centres are not the least bit compatible!! Eventually got a Scottish guy who sorted me out. Do you think we will develop mid Indian accents like we were once moving towards Mid Atlantic accents?
I digress. Rawprawn I don't know that program so it didn't come from me but thans now I'm back on line I will investigate and get back to you, obviously a lot to do reinstalling security updates, etc. so could be some time before I get back to this.

Technotiger 12:34 25 Oct 2006

Hi, if you run RegScrub it will get rid of left-over remnants.

click here

Cheers.

Miros 13:43 25 Oct 2006

Your above link removed 30000 + problem items and 59 MB's of whatever. I hope it's OK?
To late now tis done..

Miros 13:57 25 Oct 2006

Again A lot of stuff was removed via your link thanks, trust again this is also OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?