Backing up pc with a 3Gb (drive filling up)

trishandtez 19:43 30 Nov 2010

I am backing up my Pc using a separate disc drive but after a few back ups the spare disc is showing just 33gGB left to use. It is quite a large size of 298 GB.
After the disc is full can I format it and start again from scratch or can you tell me what happens when it get full?
Do I have to buy another separate drive when this is full as they are fairly expensive but surely I can use this time and time again?

lotvic 20:07 30 Nov 2010

What program and manner of backing up are you using?

If each backup is an independent separate file (as opposed to incremental) then you can just delete the oldest ones to make room for new ones.

trishandtez 10:33 01 Dec 2010

(If each backup is an independent separate file (as opposed to incremental) then you can just delete the oldest ones to make room for new ones)

Hi Lotvic

I am using an off the shelf seperate hard drive and using the windows back up and restore programe already installed on my windows 7.
I dont know what you mean by incremental and independant so cannot answer that one, how can I tell the difference?

lotvic 10:44 01 Dec 2010

I'm not familiar with the W7 backup program.
You'll have to wait until someone who is responds to thread. sorry.

natdoor 11:32 01 Dec 2010

I am not familiiar with Windows 7 backup but some guidance is available at click here.

A whole-disc backup will include the OS and insatlled applications as well as data file. Each successive back-up will be of approximately the same size as its predecessor. Only the latest is necessary, although keeping two or three would provide some protection against a file being corrupted.

Incremental backups only store changes made to data files since the last backup and are therefore generally of a much smaller size. In order to restore the data files, each incremental backup is used, their contents being added progressively. Hence, if any one of these is corrupted the subsequent data in the chain is lost. For this reason, it is generally recommended to start again with a full backup after half a dozen or so incrementals.

Since you are unfamiliar with the concept of incrementals, I suspect that your backups are full disc ones. If that is so, you can delete the oldest every time you are about to do a new backup.

trishandtez 12:04 01 Dec 2010

Thanks both I will read up on the link you gave me and understand it a bit more now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?