Backing up PC

Shine77 08:57 04 Aug 2007

Hi, something important that I've always managed to put off doing but I need some basic advice on buying an external hard-drive and a program to go along with it to enable me to back up the contents of my PC in case the worst should happen.

I'm not sure of the size of the hard-drive I need. The one on my PC is 160 GB but I am thinking of buying a laptop and would want to back that up as well, hopefully on the same external hard-drive. Unless that's a bad idea?

I've read a lot about Ghost and Acronis on these forums and am aware that it's a personal opinion but would also appreciate some advice on which is the best to get and if anything else is even better.

Many thanks for reading and, hopefully, replying!

Technotiger 09:06 04 Aug 2007

Hi, yes Acronis for me ... click here
together with a USB external hard drive, the largest you can afford.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:07 04 Aug 2007

A 500 Gb external will cost around 60 squid click here I have used both Acronis and Ghost and there is no difference IMHO. I prefer Acronis for no other reason that I like the interface.. There really is nothing better for backing up.

G

Shine77 09:16 04 Aug 2007

Thanks for the quick replies. Would a 500 Gb drive be enough? And does it matter where you get it from or what makeit is?
Thanks again for such a fast response.

Probabilitydrive 09:18 04 Aug 2007

Read here for a group test on external HDD click here. I have used Norton Ghost (easy and user friendly) and using now Acronis 10 ( a bit more flexibility).

Diemmess 09:18 04 Aug 2007

Several years ago I used Ghost and it worked.

Then a period with HyperOS which worked best with 98SE and 2000, but seemed to have problems making heavy weather with XP.

Currently use Acronis v 10 and very happy with its fuss-free and speedy behaviour.

Hardware - Enormous choice, just browse the vendors all selling much the same thing.

Personally I don't need a huge HD, believing that a lot of old but precious archived data is better on a top quality CD.
(Posts past- link with Taiyo Yuden as manufacturers of the most reliable whatever the brand label).

For day to day data backup I use a good freebie Ezbackitup click here

Probabilitydrive 09:18 04 Aug 2007

on the link go to 'lab'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?