Backing up to outboard hard disc

golfpro 06:42 23 Feb 2009

I would like to back my files and folders plus program details web site addresses etc in fact most of my hard drive to an out board hard drive, so that in the event of a complete crash, I should be able to recover them and install onto another PC.
But how do you go about this.
I am running windows XP.

Diodorus Siculus 06:48 23 Feb 2009

What's an outboard hard drive? An external one?

If so, a program like Acronis TrueImage will create an exact copy [called an image] of your hard drive; in the case of hard drive failure you can restore this image to another hard drive and continue on from there.

If your PC fails and you get another, this image will not do the job for you as it will have OS of your current PC along with drivers etc on it. In such a case it is best to use a program like CobianBackup to copy all your data from its current position to the external drive. When in the UK I used to do this each evening - the program will run automatically. This worked for me because my data is all saved to a second internal hard drive which was then copied to the external drive on a daily basis.

If you give some information about the current setup of your machine (number of hard disks/ partitions, where data is saved etc) someone will suggest a backup option.

crosstrainer 07:32 23 Feb 2009

Acronis True Image:

click here

I know it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

golfpro 08:32 23 Feb 2009

Anyone using or know of this.

click here

Diodorus Siculus 08:52 23 Feb 2009

I never heard of it but it seems to do the job; have a read of the support forum click here to see the issues some have with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?