Backing up OS partition to a network drive

Stuart Leyland 13:39 27 Aug 2003

Hello all.

I have a problem in that I cannot backup my sister's hard drive to a drive on my computer. Her computer only has a 4GB hard drive, 2.5GB of which is take up by Windows 98SE and her programs. I've tried to create a partition on the drive to hold the backup which I would then move to my hard drive later, but there isn't enough room for me to do that.

So I tried to use Drive Image 6 to backup the OS partition to my network drive, ran through the wizard to set the location which appaeared to work, but when I set the backup to run, I was told that I would have to boot into DOS and at that point, I found out that I couldn't use the network drive to backup to. Her computer doesn't have a CDRW either.

I am now stuck as to how I am going to backup her hard drive. Any information/ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks very much

leo49 13:58 27 Aug 2003

I think you might need DI7 to backup over a network[See the feature comparison chart]:

click here

Regards

medicine hat 14:05 27 Aug 2003

Why not put your CD-RW in her pc or put her HDD in your pc?

Stuart Leyland 14:55 27 Aug 2003

Hi guys.

leo49, unfortunately DI7 only works for NT/2000/XP as I'm sure you are aware. I have managed to find an option in Drive Image 6 though that allows you to create either 2 floppy disks or modify the file that is used when DI goes into DOS, to allow a network to be used. However, at the minute, I am having trouble getting it to work. I keep getting told that DI cannot find the specified drive/location and I don't know why!!! Everything is set up as it should be but DI isn't playing ball and I can't find anything relatively helpful on the net either. The help file is little use either.

MH, I did think about that but I don't have the drivers for the CDRW (it came with the PC which has since been formatted umpteen times, not all deliberately!) and I would rather keep my hard drive out of her computer for two reasons:

1. I don't want anything happening to it
2. I'm not sure if the motherboard would be able to see all of it as it is a relatively old computer.

Thanks for the replies all the same.

If anyone has any more info on getting DI6 to backup over a network (and I know it can be done, click here and read the second paragraph next to the image of DI6).

Regards
Stu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?