Backing up O/S with Acronis V10

Ray5776 16:40 13 May 2008

Hi everyone,
I would like to copy or back up my O/S which is XP Pro as I had no disk with the machine, O/S pre installed.
Posted on this before and was advised Acronis V10
can do this, have now bought this but can someone tell me how to do it please (I only want to copy or back up the O/S onto a CD nothing else)
I will use the Acronis for full back up`s to an external HDD as I used to do with V8.

Can anyone advise on this please I have never bought a PC before that does not come with the O/S on a CD.

Thanks,

Ray

MAT ALAN 17:05 13 May 2008

You have all the info at your disposal within the programme itself, the "read me" files.

there is also an easy to use wizard that will walk you through the steps you need to take...

MAT ALAN 17:09 13 May 2008

click here

youtube video tutorials here, i am sure they will help...

johndrew 17:27 13 May 2008

You don`t say whether your PC is a laptop or desktop. This matters because laptops often have additional software installed some of which may permit you to make a recovery CD.

It is not possible to create the OS as it would be on a CD from your HDD all you can do is make a backup of the `Windows` that is installed. If you ever came to the point where you needed to reinstall it you would have anomalies in your Registry because of programs installed/uninstalled between making the backup and when you wanted to recover it.

Your best bet would be to create a slipstreamed disk click here and click here which would allow you to install your OS to the standard (including updates) at the point it is made.

If you still wish to make a simple backup of `Windows` alone, open ATI, select `Backup` then `Files and Folders` then expand `My Computer` and I would suggest checking everything except `Program Files` and `I386` (if present). The rest of the process is the same as a normal backup to your external HDD other than selecting your DVD/CD-RW drive as the point to save to.

If you have a desktop PC you could also find out which standard of OS you have (full or OEM - probably the latter) and ask your supplier for a copy. You really should have this plus a CD with all your drivers on it.

Ray5776 19:22 13 May 2008

This is the O/SProperty Value
Name Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
Terminal Services in Remote Admin Mode
Multiprocessor Free
Running on the console.
Activation Status Activated
Checked Build No
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Kernel Version 5.1.2600.3093
Security 128 bits
Serial Number 55274-640-8365391-23579
Product Key V2C47-MK7JD-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
Product Name Microsoft Windows XP
Build Lab 2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300

Hardware DEP Available No
DEP for 32 Bits Applications No
DEP for Drivers No
DEP Policy OptIn (only Windows system binaries)
Windows Update's version number 7.0.6000.381
Automatic Updates Automatic (Recommended)
Next Detection Time 2008-05-14 05:33:58
Scheduled Install Every Day @ 0:00 AM
System Restore Enabled

Owner XPuser009
Organization
Machine GUID 66c6f3c3-7366-4837-98d1-6088f28ceb23

Workgroup WORKGROUP
Computer Name XPUSER00-EBDADD
Language English (United States)
Installation Time 09/05/2007 17:13:44.530
Boot Time 05/13/2008 16:22:36.375
Running Time 2 hours 53 minutes 39 seconds

Number of Open Programs 2

Screen Saver Logon Screen Saver
Wait 10 minutes

Active Desktop Installed

Ray5776 19:23 13 May 2008

thanks for your help but still confused

Ray

Ray5776 19:37 13 May 2008

Thanks Mat Alan for the link, but I still do not see how I can copy or back up just the O/S.

Ray

David4637 16:47 14 May 2008

To baqckup the OS only, it needs to be on a separate partition, which is what I have done.
That is, the OS is on the C: drive, and the data on the D: drive. Then you can backup the OS (C:) using Acronis. With XP it is about 5GB which Acronis compresses to about 3 GB - one DVD. David

crosstrainer 16:55 14 May 2008

I know you've bought version 10, but in the new release (11) the interface is very user friendly with explanations of each type of backup, and how to perform it....Maybe Acronis will give you a discounted upgrade? Worth a try. That's not to say you can't do it with 10, you can.

Sticking with 10, and if you are regularly installing and uninstalling software, I suggest you use the "Incremental backup" feature.

First do a complete backup using the wizard and reading the instructions carefuly.

Once a week (or more frequently if you have installed and uninstalled things) and after Windows updates, perform and incremental backup.

This will add / remove changed software and windows configuration to your existing backup file.

I am now using version 11, and use this feature for about three months before I wipe the old backup file, create a complete new one and then once again use incremental backup for the next period.

MAT ALAN 17:03 14 May 2008

Thanks Mat Alan for the link, but I still do not see how I can copy or back up just the O/S.

Why would you want to do that, you will be better off backing up what ever is on your C:\ drive which as David4637 (goods advice) has suggested should be on a separate partition..

you can then back up to another partition, a seperate HDD or removable media "DvD"...

Pine Man 18:36 14 May 2008

You all seem to be talking at cross purposes. It appears to me that Ray hasn't got an XP disk and he wants to copy just the XP o/s from his hard drive.

You cannot do that.

You can copy the whole disk and then access various files from the backup or reinstall the whole backup but you cannot extract just the o/s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?