Backing up my pc to usb stick, formatting etc!!

gazmix 04:14 09 Apr 2009

Hi
I have a compaq evo small form pc that only has 33gb hard drive of which i'm only using around 5 GB of stuff, including all my antivirus etc!!
Is there a link somewhere in my start menu to backup all my pc to somewhere!!!
I'm worried incase my pc fails! as its getting on in years!
I use ERUNT which is a backup of the registry in case i do somet stupid, but was wondering about backing all i have up to usb stick.

Can i put my Windows XP onto a USB stick, maybe a daft question i dunno!(am a novice) so i could put it onto a new formated pc & how do i format as i have 2 in the atic that are realy old & need it before i dispose of them!!

cheers

gaz

rawprawn 08:30 09 Apr 2009

You need something Like Acronis click here
or perhaps Paragaon Backup Freeware click here
However yoou cannot backup Windows to a USB pen drive there is not enough room. You need an external Hard Drive

howard64 08:52 09 Apr 2009

if all you want to back up is your data probably a lot smaller than 5gb you could just copy your 'my documents' to the usb stick. A large external usb hard drive is very useful as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:17 09 Apr 2009

Yes you can use a stick to back up and if you only have 5G then an *g stick will do.

However USB pen drives are not that reliable and if you only have 5gig then your actual data will be a lot less you could burn to a DVD easily.

gazmix 20:24 10 Apr 2009

Ok, i know i can backup to usb all my documents but would i need to save all the programme setups (.exe) files to a stick or another way!

How big is Windows Xp & how would i go about copying it to an external HD & then back onto a formatted pc?

cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 10 Apr 2009

You need Acronis, see the link from rawprawn above.

lotvic 21:04 10 Apr 2009

In a different thread 'natdoor' posted a good link for video tutorials on how to use Acronis
here is the link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017