Backing up for the intelectually challenged

Legolas 18:20 12 Apr 2003

Please forgive me for bringing this up again as I know it has been covered before but I seem to have a blind spot concerning how to best carry out this process(backing up). I have just had to format my HDD(yesterday)and I can get back up and running pretty fast, what done it for me this time was I had a report for college on the drive (on computer architecture, no laughing please)and I lost it as I had not backed it up.....so what is the best way to back up? and what do I back up? I know this can come down to personal preference but some tips would be helpful as I am now going to back up regularly as I am not looking forward to redoing that %$*%"!+* report, although on the bright side I have a two week Easter break to do it in.

recap 18:43 12 Apr 2003

I did a similar thing when I was a Uni, but I had only used floppies as back up so it wasn't even on the HD. I overwrote on my floppy that had three weeks work on (zipped down) lost the lot. We learn the hard way some times, lol:-))))))

These days there are so many back up options available Legolas.

If the file is too big for a floppy even when zipped, you could use smart media, compact flash or Zip disc's. CDR/W is another way of backing up as is using a tape drive.

I personally use a mixture of floppies, Zip disc's (both 100 & 250mb), back up tapes (from the server at work), compact flash and naturally the HD.

Like you have said Legolas it does come down to personal preference, and importantly I think cost what can you afford or not afford to loose?

Legolas 18:50 12 Apr 2003

Would it be a good idea to backup to ReWritables I have heard they can be a little volatile and not the best for backups.

jimv7 18:50 12 Apr 2003

Get a second hard drive/cd writer or at least partition 'c' drive.

Buy norton ghost, install it, create a floppy boot disk with it, insert boot disk, start puter.
copy partition to partition/ or copy 'c' to cd writer(may take more than 1 disk)at high compression.

You now have an image of 'c' drive on partition or cd.

Step 2.
right click on 'my docs' properties/move

move my docs to 2nd drive or partition, so anything saved will not be on 'c' drive.

when you have enough or important files, burn them to cd.

If you have to reinstall, insert ghost boot disk, copy image to 'c' drive and you will be back up and running in minutes.

Big Elf 18:55 12 Apr 2003

I create a data (files) and programs (downloads/drivers) directory and all files go into those. Using a simple batch files I then copy all new/changed files to a second hard drive at least once per day, burn all data files and all downloads to CDs every day (and once a week take the latest to store in the office).

I also have a PCMCIA Hard Drive to which everything is copied on at least a daily basis which I copy to my laptop once a week(ish).

I think that having a second hard drive is the best option that covers hard drive failure and CDR is a backup to that particularly if it's stored off site.

Others opinions may differ.

recap 18:57 12 Apr 2003

I've heard that CDRW can be unpradictable also Legolas, maybe not a good medium for backing up with.

jimv7 suggestion of a second HD is a good one. You can get either an internal or external HD at a reasonable price these days.

Big Elf 18:59 12 Apr 2003

P.S. Forgot to mention that after Paranoid Androids post I installed TrueImage Deluxe and have done an uncompressed backup of everything to my second hard drive. The plan being is to use this if it all goes horribly wrong (which it no doubt will - my motto is 'if it ain't broke, break it') and then copy the backup data/program files and overwrite those in the image. I hope it's a long time before I have to test this out but I give it less than a month.

Legolas 19:01 12 Apr 2003

Quite a bit to mull over already. A second HDD sounds good and if my SCSI works then I will have a spare drive for all my backups.

Legolas 19:04 12 Apr 2003

Snap Big Elf I have the same motto, so taking that into consideration not backing up is very dangerous. Computing would be boring if it was not for the cock-ups ;-)

Big Elf 19:06 12 Apr 2003

I've just read, in Micromart (sorry FE), the 3 golden rules to preserving data:

Rule 1. Backup
Rule 2. Backup
Rule 3. Backup

Legolas 19:15 12 Apr 2003

So what is the best app for taking an image of your hdd free of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?