Backing up files using Wind XP Pro

23790954 22:01 02 Jun 2005

As I intend to replace my present motherboard, I attempted to make a copy of my system using Windows XP Pro Back up function. I have recently fitted a new Benq 52x32x52 CD writer, which I have used on many occasions without fault, and this is my drive'E', my cd rom being my drive 'D'. Whenever I try to make a backup copy of my system, using the Wind XP Pro function, and I click on next, to start the recording, I get the message "The back up file name could not be used - E:\Backup.Bkf
"Please ensure it is valid and that you have sufficient access"
Although I have actually changed the file name I still get the same message.
Would someone kindly help me to resolve this problem. Many thanks from an O.A.P.

VoG II 22:05 02 Jun 2005

For some reason best known to Microsoft, Windows Backup will not backup to CD.

You have to backup to a folder on your hard drive, then burn that to CDs. The alternatives are zip disks, a tape drive, or even floppies (if you have lots of them and infinite patience).

Indigo 1 22:06 02 Jun 2005

Instead of giving it a name, just give it a number and leave out the full stop.

DieSse 22:07 02 Jun 2005

Another alternative, and a great investment for the future, is to get Acronis True Image. click here

mattyc_92 22:08 02 Jun 2005

This is because WinXP's Backup isn't really designed to backup to external media.. It is mainly used for backing up "personal files" aka My Documents

You will need a "third party" program for this...

Try using "Acronis True Image" from click here... This is the program I use, and just 10 minutes of posting this message, I had to restore my sys, it took about 1 hour, but my system is running perfectly again (and it is faster than formatting and re-installing everything.... lol)

I used to use "Norton Ghost" from click here but I found that I used to get many errors when trying to restore (and sometimes backup) the sytem...

mattyc_92 18:47 03 Jun 2005

Just recieved the following from 23790954 by e-mail

Hi! mattyc_92, Many thanks for your information on back-up copies. I actually bought a copy of Drive Image 7 last year, but again it will not record to removable media. I downloaded the trial copy of Acronis True Image and have just copied my complete hard-drive. 10 c.d's in all. The main reason for my 'e' mail, and I apologise for troubling you, is, do I need to use Acronis True Image to replace the data on my computer when required, and is it easy to do. As a pensioner, I only started building and repairing computers for my children and Grand-children, a couple of years ago, and although repairing and building them is no difficulty, I do find the data side harder to learn. Sorry for troubling you, 23790954

And I have replied:

Just thought I should give an update to what is happening.... lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?