Backing up onto a external hard drive

old fogey 15:40 18 Nov 2004

I am about to receive a christmas present of an external hard drive (160G)usb/firewire/i link from my better half.I need a big drive for video editing. Her generosity has got nothing to do with the fact she wants all the home/holiday videos on DVD. The problem is can I back up my whole system including the OS (xp home/sp2)from my computer to the external hard drive. I have tried to back up using DVD's but nero tells me I will need 10 DVD's =47G. I ask because a friend tells me that you cannot copy/back up the OS as it is running and therefore cannot be copied over so I will have to install xp/sp2 from disc. If that is true will the oem disc I got with the PC be sufficient?

Thanks

mattyc_92 16:23 18 Nov 2004

Your friend is sort of correct. You only can backup your whole system if you are not in windows. In other works you have to be in the command PC bois (the thing that loads your operating system up with the black background and white text).
I usually backup my whole system onto CD-Rs or on another partition from my hard disk. I use Norton Ghost 2003 for this. You can use this program to backup your system onto another drive (USB 1.o or 2.0/firewire) Just change the advance settings to the desired option(s). Try a google search for a Trial version or download the full version from the Symantec website for around £40.

captain birdseye 16:28 18 Nov 2004

Same response as mattyc_92. Acronis is an alternative to Ghost. Go for the least expensive, they both work well.

old fogey 20:55 18 Nov 2004

mattyc_92 and captain birdseye

Thanks for that, sorry Im so late replying but domestic duties came first (shopping with the better half)I use norton firewall & norton systemworks 2005 so I guess Ill have to add norton ghost to my collection.

Onec again thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?