Backing up entrie 200GB hardrive

allanon 20:43 17 Dec 2006

I bought Trueimage 9 to back up my harddrive but there were files locked and it would not work. E-mails to Acronis failed to solve the problem. Has anyone had this problem. I tried validating the saved data but Trueimage said it was corrupted.

I am thinkig about buying a Buffalo backup hardrive with included software. Has anyone used these ?, if so your comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm also concerned that the locked files which flummoxed Trueimage may have the same effect with the Buffalo drive.The locked files included lavasoft files

gudgulf 20:51 17 Dec 2006

I've successfully backed up my hard drive with Acronis many times.......including Lavasoft files.I create a full Acronis rescue boot disc....boot into that and create the backup from there.

That way non of the Windows system files or other programs that might lock their files (such as Lavasoft Adaware) are running.

Everything should back up correctly done that way.

Give it a try before switching to a different program.

Technotiger 20:52 17 Dec 2006

Hi, Acronis True Image is *the* best IMHO, but it is best to backup to an external hardrive, not to your C:drive. I use a Seagate 320Gb USB drive.

allanon 21:18 17 Dec 2006

Thanks for the advice gudgulf - I'll try that .
Technotiger I was backing up to DVD's sorry I should have said

gudgulf 21:44 17 Dec 2006

Backing up to DVDs........er,how much data do you have on your drive?

My 250GB drive would take 30 DVDs to image on standard compression...and it's only just over half full.No small undertaking!

An external hard drive is by far the best option for imaging a large drive in my opinion.

Having said that I DO keep a basic XP install (and one with a few essential programs installed) on DVDs for reformat purposes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?