Backing up email folders for several user accounts

Pineman100 12:44 25 Oct 2008

Windows XP and Outlook Express.

If you have several user accounts on one computer, do their email details all share the same folders (ie: Contacts, Inbox, Sent Items, etc.)?

I want to reformat and reinstall Windows. If I log in on one user account and export the email folders to .CSV files for backup, will that capture the details for all user accounts?

Many thanks for any advice.

BurrWalnut 14:07 25 Oct 2008

The normal location of the mail boxes is the hidden folder C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Within this folder are the two main mail boxes; Inbox.dbx and Sent Items.dbx. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options > View Tab to see it.

Contacts at located in the hidden folder C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book and is named username.wab.

So, other accounts will be in a different ‘Documents and Settings‘ folder(s).

Pineman100 14:49 25 Oct 2008

I understand that the folders you have mentioned will be specific to each user of the computer. Does that mean that, if I use the Export function to save the data to .csv files, then I am only exporting the data for the person whose user account I am logged into?

If I log in as Administrator, is there any way of capturing everybody's data in one set of folder exports?

My reason for asking is that the computer has no less than four user accounts, and if I have to export Contacts, Inbox and Sent Items for all of them, that's a long job!

Thanks again for your response.

BurrWalnut 15:45 25 Oct 2008

You will be ‘exporting’ 4 sets of information, once.

You could have done it in the time that you have been posting here.

Get on and do it now!

BT 17:25 25 Oct 2008

Have a look at the instructions that I posted in the following thread

click here

You will need to do this for each user

Its useful to save the Email Settings also..

Go to Tools>Accounts and export their Email settings. You have do do this for each email addres if a user has more than one, but its much easier to Import them back in than having to set it up all from scratch.

Pineman100 17:40 25 Oct 2008

BT - that's a very useful set of instructions - thank you.

BurrWalnut - slave driver! But you're right.

Thanks again.

Stuartli 18:31 25 Oct 2008

Also see:

click here*

FatboySlim71 23:04 25 Oct 2008

Pineman100

I used the Amic Email Backup program to transfer my email accounts, address book from my desktop to my laptop. Its a really good program and very easy to use. It saved a lot of time.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017